Dr Jeff Bird
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Film and Animation
- 24G 206 Hawthorn campus
PhD (UniMelb), MA - Multimedia (Swinburne), BEd - Media Studies (Vic College). Jeff Bird is a filmmaker and Lecturer in Film & Television at Swinburne, where he teaches and convenes cinematography and production classes, across both high definition digital and motion picture film formats. Jeff has extensive experience in the film and television industries, both in Australia and overseas, working in many different capacities, including directing, writing, cinematography, producing and editing. Jeff's films have been broadcast on television and featured in international film festivals, winning numerous awards. His most recent film, Last Stand At Nymboida (writer/director), was broadcast on the History Channel in 2012, wining 18 international awards, including Best Documentary Feature at the Cincinnati Film Festival, a Special Jury Award at Worldfest Houston, Best Documentary Directing at the Colorado Film Awards, as well as the Orson Welles Award for Documentary at the California Film Awards. Other award winners include Black Gold, Kindred Spirits (director, producer, cinematographer), broadcast on ABC TV, as well as Who Mines The Riches (director/producer), a music video from the legendary Australian Ska band Strange Tenants. Jeff has a Master of Multimedia (2002) from Swinburne University and a PhD (2009) from the University of Melbourne. His minor Master's thesis, Digital Television Broadcasting: Perspectives on the Future (2002), emphasized the importance of high definition for the future of broadcasting and production. Jeff's PhD thesis explored the use of large screen displays in the domestic context.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Associate Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Film And Television - 190204
- Cultural Studies - 200200
- 2016, International, The Artist Circle Selection, The NOVA Fest
- 2016, International, Sir Edmund Hillary Award – Documentary Competition, Mountain Film Festival
- 2016, International, Gold Kahuna Award, Documentary Feature Competition, Honolulu Film Awards
- 2016, International, Award of Excellence, Documentary Feature, Impact DOCS Award
- 2015, International, Silver Award, Documentary Film Competition, California Film Awards
- 2015, International, Platinum Award, Documentary Film Competition, Oregon Film Awards
- 2015, International, Humanitarian Award - Outstanding Achievement, Global Film Awards
- 2015, International, Gold Award, Documentary, WorldFest Houston International Film Festival
- 2015, International, Award of Excellence, Documentary Feature, The IndieFest (USA)
- 2015, International, Award of Excellence, Documentary Feature, Accolade Global Film Competition
- 2015, International, 2015 Humanitarian Award - Outstanding Achievement, The IndieFest
Also published as: Bird, Jeff; Bird, J.; Bird, Jeffrey
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
There are no grants to display.
- 2015-08-19: Radio Interview: Blood on the Coal - ABC Capricornia
- 2015-08-18: Radio Interview: Blood on the Coal - ABC Tropical North
- 2015-08-18: Radio Interview: Blood on the Coal - Zinc FM Mackay
- 2015-08-15: Radio Interview: Blood on the Coal - Radio Adelaide
- 2015-08-10: Radio Interview: Blood on the Coal - SEA FM Rockhampton
- 2015-08-05: Radio Interview: Blood on the Coal - Northside Radio Sydney