- School of Design
- Department of Communication Design and Digital Media Design
- AMDC701 Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Joanna is a full time lecturer at Swinburne University of Technology in the School of Design, Communication Design. Joanna is currently undertaking a Doctor of Philosophy in the School of Mathematical and Geospatial Sciences with joint supervision from the School of Art, at RMIT Univeristy in Australia. Her interdisciplinary doctoral thesis exmines the intersection of cartography, art and design and its role in understanding and shaping place. The working title of her thesis is: Design and Aesthetics of Cartography: Its capacity for storytelling, ability to create wonder, to communicate ideas and evoke sensory impression and experience.
Prior to Joanna's academic career, she has gained more than 15 years of extensive industry experience nationally and internationally in art direction, brand strategy and design for print, web, branding - visual Identity and naming, illustration, motion graphics and experiential design.
Design and aesthetics of cartography; Cartography as art; Cartography and the senses; Emotional cartography; Visual representation of the city; Contextualization, interpretation and expression of space and place
Fields of Research
- Design - 330300
- Cartography And Digital Mapping - 401301
- Visual Arts - 360600
Communication Design;Image-making;Typography;Branding and Identity;Photo-media
- 2018, Swinburne, Vice-Chancellor's Reconciliation Award, Marngo Designing Futures: Connecting Culture and Building Bridges to Higher Education, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2015, Swinburne, Dean's Award for Teaching and Learning, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2014, Swinburne, Innovation and Excellence in Learning, Teaching and Assessment, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2012, International, Winner of World Stroke Organization, International Stroke Symbol, World Stroke Organization
- 2012, Swinburne, Excellence in Teaching, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2011, Swinburne, Excellence in Teaching, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2007, International, Gold Award: SVA - Visual Arts Press: 37th Annual University and College Designers Association Design Competition, Motion Graphics, School of Visual Arts: Visual Arts Press, New York
- 2003, International, Francisco Mantecon, Bodegas Terras Gauda, International poster competition, Spain , Bodegas Terras Gauda, Spain
Also published as: Gardener, Joanna; Gardener, J.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.