Associate Professor Joseph Ciorciari
Applied Neuroscience, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia; Bachelor of Applied Science, Swinburne, Australia
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Health Sciences
- Department of Psychological Sciences
- ATC1035 Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Associate Professor Joseph Ciorciari is a Associate Professor who has taught into the Biomedical Sciences, Biomedical Engineering and Psychophysiology undergraduate, honours and postgraduate programs at Swinburne University of Technology.
He is currently the program coordinator for the undergraduate Psychology/Psychophysiology course. As from late 2005, as the research unit leader of Biology of Individual Differences Research Unit at the Brain Sciences Institute, he has focused on the investigation of the biological basis of personality using a multidisciplinary approach; combining psychology and neurosciences. Brain electrophysiology techniques and neuropsychological measures have been applied in the investigation of creativity, gender, intelligence, personality traits and psychosis. In a world first study into the psychiatric condition known as Multiple Personality Disorder, his research demonstrated clear functional differences in brain function for each dissociated personality, an altered consciousness.
Further dissociation research has focused on brain function associated with hypnotic states and normal dissociative processes. Neurofeedback research has also commenced in collaboration with the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Grenoble, France. The unit is currently completing research in collaboration with La Trobe University and Murdoch University (Institute for Television Research) in examining the neurobiology associated with personality, emotional intelligence, consumer decision making processes and associated behaviours. This field is now referred to as neuropsychoeconomics.
Books, Theses, Book Chapters Published eBook Chapters
- Ciorciari J. (2006) Biological Basis of Personality: EEG Studies and Behaviour. In: Case Studies in Psychology. Whelan T., (Ed)., Thomson Learning Australia (ISBN 0170130002)
- Ciorciari J. (2006) Dissociative Identity Disorder: An EEG Experiment. In Case Studies in Psychology. Whelan T., (Ed)., Thomson Learning Australia (ISBN 0170130002)
- Gordon R., Ciorciari J. (2017) Chapter 8: Social marketing research and cognitive neuroscience. In Formative Research in Social Marketing. Innovative Methods to Gain Consumer Insights. Kubacki, S. Rundle-Thiele (Eds.)
- Ciorciari J. (2012) Chapter 21 The EEG. In Physiology, Biophysics and Biomedical Engineering (Series in Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering) Editor Andrew W. Wood Taylor & Francis; 1 edition (Registered May 25, 2010). ISBN-10: 1420065130 ISBN-13: 978-1420065138.
- Ciorciari J. (2012) Chapter 18 Auditory & Vestibular Systems. In Physiology, Biophysics and Biomedical Engineering (Series in Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering) Editor Andrew W. Wood. 2011. Taylor & Francis; 1 edition (Registered May 25, 2010). ISBN-10: 1420065130 ISBN-13: 978-1420065138
- Thompson B., Ciorciari J. (2012) Chapter 12 Respiratory Biophysics. In Physiology, Biophysics and Biomedical Engineering (Series in Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering) Editor Andrew W. Wood. 2011. Taylor & Francis; 1 edition (Registered May 25, 2010). ISBN-10: 1420065130 ISBN-13: 978-1420065138
- Tarrasuik, J., Ciorciari J., Stough C (2009). Understanding the Neurobiology of Emotional Intelligence. In: Assessing Emotional Intelligence: Theory, Research, and Applications (The Springer Series on Human Exceptionality) Con Stough (Editor), Donald H. Saklofske (Editor), James D.A. Parker (Editor). ISBN-10: 038788369X , ISBN-13: 978-0387883694 , Springer.
- Ciorciari J. (2006) “Biological Basis of Emotional Intelligence” in Research on Emotional Intelligence: International Symposium 2005. (2005). (Eds. Stough, C., Saklofske, D. & Hansen, K.). Tertiary press. ISBN 0 86458 775 9
Published Journal Papers
- Harris J, Ciorciari J, Gountas J (Accepted Jan 30 2018) Consumer Neuroscience for Marketing Researchers. Journal of Consumer Behaviour. JCB-17-283.R1
- Harris J, Ciorciari J, Gountas J (Accepted Jan 25 2018) Public Health Social Media Communications and Consumer Neuroscience.Cogent Psychology.doi. 1080/23311908.2018.1434058
- Gordon R., Ciorciari, J., van Laer (2017) Using EEG to Examine the Role of Attention, Working Memory, Emotion, and Imagination in Narrative Transportation European Journal of Marketing, DOI 10.1108/EJM-12-2016-0881
- Vukusic, S., Ciorciari, J., Crewther D. (2017) Electrophysiological correlates of subliminal perception of facial expressions in individuals with autistic traits: a backward masking study. Frontiers of Human Neuroscience (Submitted Manuscript ID: 222588)
- Ogloff J.R.P., Pfeifer J.E., Patterson, J., Cutajar, M., Adams, K., Ciorciari J. (2016)Assessing the Mental Health, Substance Abuse, Cognitive Functioning and Social/Emotional Well-Being Needs of Aboriginal Prisoners in Australia. Journal of Correctional Health Care 23 (4), 398-411
- White D.J., Congedo M., Ciorciari J. (2014) Source-based neurofeedback methods using EEG recordings: Training altered brain activity in a functional brain source derived from Blind Source Separation. Frontiers in Behavioural Neuroscience. April 6 2014.
- Lawrence,L.M., Ciorciari J., Kyrios M (2014) Relationships that compulsive buying has with addiction, obsessive-compulsiveness, hoarding, and depression. Comprehensive Psychiatry http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.comppsych.2014.03.005 (Impact Factor 2.256)
- Lawrence,L.M., Ciorciari J., Kyrios M (2014) Cognitive processes associated with compulsive buying behaviours and related EEG coherence. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging.Volume 221, Issue 1, 30 January 2014, Pages 97-103 (Impact Factor 3.413)
- Gilbert K, Parker R, Ciorciari J, Beswick M, Carbis, C (2014) The use of guided imagery to alleviate pain in paediatric patients (4–12 year olds) undergoing treatment in the emergency department. Emergency Medicine Australasia. 26():8, Jun 2014.
- Goodin P., Ciorciari J.,Harper M., Baker K., Carey A., Kaufman J (2012) A high Density EEG Investigation into Steady State Binaural Beat Stimulation. PlosOne Volume 7, Issue 4, 9 April 2012, Article number e34789 (Impact Factor 4.24)
- Scholey A., Downey L., , Ciorciari J., Nolidin K., Stough C (2012) Acute neurocognitive effects of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). Appetite Volume 58, Issue 2, April 2012, Pages 767-770 (Impact Factor 3.144)
- White D., Congedo M., Ciorciari J., Silberstein R. (2012) Brain Oscillatory activity during spatial navigation: Theta and gamma activity links medial temporal and parietal regions. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience. 24 (3), pp. 686-697 (Impact Factor 4.687)
- Ciorciari J., Marotte, A., (2011). Implications of Memory dysfunction, MDMA and substance use patterns in an Australian sample: A web-based pilot study. Australian Journal of Psychology 63 (3) , pp. 142-149 (Impact Factor 0.66)
- Treleaven-Hassard S., Gold. J., Ciorciari J., Critchley C., Varan D., Bellman B., Schweda A. (2010).Using the P3a to Gauge Automatic Attention to Interactive Television Advertising. Journal of Economic Psychology 31 (5), pp. 777-784. (Impact Factor 1.951)
- Cook F., Ciorciari J., Varker T., Devilly G. (2009) Changes in long term neural connectivity following psychological trauma. Clinical Neurophysiology. 120 pp 390-314. (Impact Factor 3.647)
- White D., Ciorciari J., Carbis C., Liley D. (2009) EEG correlates of virtual Reality Hypnosis. The International Journal of Clinical Experimental Hypnosis..57(1) 1-23 (Impact Factor 2007 1.868).
- Ashworth J., Ciorciari J., Stough C (2008) Psychophysiological Correlates of Dissociation, Handedness and Hemispheric Lateralization. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 196(5) 411-416. (Impact Factor 1.863)
- Devilly G, Ciorciari J, Piesse A,, Sherwell S, Zammit S, Cook F, Turton C (2007) Dissociative Tendencies and Memory Performance on Directed-Forgetting Tasks .Psychological Science 18 (3), 212–217. (Impact factor 4.271)
- Devilly G.J., Ciorciari J.,2007) Conclusions In Science When Theory & Data Collide. Psychological Science 18 (3), 220–221. (Impact factor 4.271)
- Hopper A., Ciorciari J., Johnson G., Spensley J., Sergejew A., Stough C. (2002) EEG Coherence and Dissociative Identity Disorder. Journal of Dissociation and Trauma. Vol 3 Issue 1, 75-88.
- Stough C., Donaldson C., Scarlata B., Ciorciari J. (2001) Psychophysiological Correlates of the NEO PI-R Openness, Agreeableness and Conscientiousness: Preliminary Results. International Journal of Psychophysiology. 41 pp87-91.
- Ciorciari J.,Silberstein R., Copolov D.,(1998) The Steady State Visually Evoked Potential Topography in Chronic Schizophrenia. Brain Topography Today. Excerpta Medica International Congress Series No.1147. Excerpta Medica International Congress Series (ICS). Elsevier. 1997
- Ciorciari, J., Silberstein, R., Line, P., Copolov, D., (1997) The steady state visually evoked potential topography dynamics in schizophrenia. Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology., Volume 103, Issue 1, July 1997, Page 92
- Silberstein R.B., Ciorciari J., and Pipingas A., (1995). Steady State Visually Evoked Potential topography during the wisconsin card sort. EEG and Clin.Neurophysiology.96 pp24-35.
- Ciorciari J.,Silberstein R., Copolov D., Currie., Ma S. (1995) The Topography and dynamics of the Steady State Visually Evoked Potential in Schizophrenia: A Pilot Study. ISBET Oct 10-12, Tokushima, Japan. Brain Topography
- Silberstein R.B., Ciorciari J., and Pipingas A.,.(1993) Rapid changes in steady-state visually evoked potential topography associated with the Wisconsin card sort Biological Psychology, Volume 37, Issue 1, October 1993, Page 59.
- Silberstein R.B., Ciorciari J., Schier M.A., Pipingas A., Wood S. (1991). The steady state visually evoked potential and topography and vigilance. Proc XVth Annual Conference of the Australian Society for the Study of Brain Impairment. In: B.G.Frost, M.Watson and H.P.Pfister (eds).Brain Impairment: advances in applied research. Australian Society for the study of brain impairment. pp267-274.
- Silberstein R.B., Pipingas A., Schier M.A., Ciorciari J., Wood S.R. (1991) Dynamic changes in brain evoked potentially laterality in a visual vigilance task.Proc XVth Annual Conference of the Australian Society for the Study of Brain Impairment. In: B.G.Frost, M.Watson and H.P.Pfister (eds). Advances in applied research. Australian Society for the study of brain impairment. pp267-274.
- Silberstein R.B., Pipingas A., Schier M.A., Ciorciari J., Wood S.R., Simpson D.R. (1990) Steady-State Visually Evoked Potential topography associated with a visual vigilance task. Brain Topography. Volume 3, Number 2 Pages: 337 - 347
Mood Disorders; Neuroscience; Neuroscience; Brain sciences; Disassociated Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder); Decision Making Neurosciences; Neuromarketing; Neurobiology of Individual Differences; Neuroaffective Design
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Consumer Neuroscience and Health: Consumer Neuroscience and Health
The Psychophysiology of Personality and Related Disorders: Consumer Neuroscience and Health
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Psychology - 170100
- Other Psychology And Cognitive Sciences - 179900
- Neurosciences - 110900
Medical Biophysics;Cognitive Psychology;Neuroscience;Cognitive Psychology;Neuroscience;Neuromarketing
- 2016, International, Best Paper Award, International Social Marketing Conference 2016
- 1983, National, The Royal Humane Society Bravery Award, The Royal Humane Society of Australia
Also published as: Ciorciari, Joseph; Ciorciari, J.; Ciorciari, Joe
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2019: In it to win it: An interdisciplinary investigation of sports betting *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2017: Situated music therapy for the prevention of cognitive decline in Alzheimer?s Diseases *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2016: Project Geldom Phase II *; Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- 2015: The trajectory of trauma: an integrative approach *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2014: Understanding member engagement and retention at Zoos Victoria *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
- 2013: Behavioural Research - Advanced Exploration of the Mind *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2012: Comparison of the neurocognitive profiles in schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression through the use of the MATRICS consensus cognitive battery *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2011: Physiological and mood correlates of in-vivo and recollected mastery experience *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2011: Psychophysiological Correlates of Major Depressive Disorder (MDD); possible early biomarkers *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2011: Using Neurofeedback to improve mood, cognition in depression and dementia - a pilot study *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
* Chief Investigator
- 2015-12-12: The Next Generation Condom: Geldom - Lifestyle
- 2015-12-09: â€˜Itâ€™s like human tissueâ€™: Scientists scan brainâ€™s pleasure centre to design new condom - Metro.co.uk
- 2015-12-09: Next generation condoms - Sydney Morning Herald
- 2015-12-09: Swinburne researchers develop next-generation of condoms - Swinburne
- 2015-10-30: Taking Care of Business: Consumer Neuroscience - RPP Peninsula Radio
- 2008-09-14: Brain shows how you shop - Herald Sun
- 2008-09-10: New tips for green advertisers - Smart Company
- Brain scans shed light on mental health - Swinburne Media
- Direct Line to the Brain - Fairfax Digital
- Hunting for Happiness - ABC Science
- Neuromantic - Neuromarketing - Swinburne Venture Issue 1