Professor Jane Burry
Professor Jane Burry is the Dean of the School of Design in the Faculty of Health Arts and Design at Swinburne University of Technology, formerly Professor and Director of the Spatial Information Architecture Laboratory (SIAL) at RMIT University.
Jane’s research focuses on mathematics and computing in contemporary design. She is lead author of The New Mathematics of Architecture, T&H, 2010, editor of Designing the Dynamic, Melbourne Books, 2013 and coauthor of Prototyping for Architects, T&H 2016 and has over eighty other publications. Jane has practiced, taught, supervised and researched internationally, including many architectural projects and involvement as a project architect in the technical office at Antoni Gaudí’s Sagrada Família church in Barcelona.
Recent research explores the opportunities for leveraging digital fabrication with simulation and feedback to create better, more sensitive, human-centric spaces. By manipulating geometry and materiality within the design, architecture can fine tune the acoustic, thermal and air flow aesthetics for higher quality, energy efficient environments. Other partnered research investigates rich environmental data gathering and its application to designing better urban environments.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Architecture - 120100
- Design Practice And Management - 120300
Also published as: Burry, Jane; Burry, J.; Burry, J. R.; Burry, Jane R.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2018: Developing pedagogical solutions to linguistic and cultural barriers in design education supporting Asian architecture students *; Office for Learning and Teaching Innovation and Development Program
- 2017: Media art as urban storytelling: Australian opportunities for data-driven content on large format screens *; MIRVAC Funding Scheme
- 2017: Swarming: micro-flight data capture and analysis in architectural design *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2017: The Sound of Space:Architecture for improved auditory performance in the age of digital manufacturing *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
* Chief Investigator