Professor Jane Burry
Professor Jane Burry is the Dean of the School of Design in the Faculty of Health Arts and Design at Swinburne University of Technology, formerly Professor and Director of the Spatial Information Architecture Laboratory (SIAL) at RMIT University.
Jane’s research focuses on mathematics and computing in contemporary design. She is lead author of The New Mathematics of Architecture, T&H, 2010, editor of Designing the Dynamic, Melbourne Books, 2013 and coauthor of Prototyping for Architects, T&H 2016 and has over eighty other publications. Jane has practiced, taught, supervised and researched internationally, including many architectural projects and involvement as a project architect in the technical office at Antoni Gaudí’s Sagrada Família church in Barcelona.
Recent research explores the opportunities for leveraging digital fabrication with simulation and feedback to create better, more sensitive, human-centric spaces. By manipulating geometry and materiality within the design, architecture can fine tune the acoustic, thermal and air flow aesthetics for higher quality, energy efficient environments. Other partnered research investigates rich environmental data gathering and its application to designing better urban environments.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Architecture - 120100
- Design Practice And Management - 120300
- A preliminary investigation on the sound field properties in the Sagrada Familia Basilica
- Air flow visualisation towards the design of breathing skins
- Automated shape design by grammatical evolution
- Breathable Cladding–Designing Climate-Adapted Filtering for Precipitation, Airflow and Luminance
- Breathing skins for wind modulation through morphology: Toward integrating turbulence studies within tectonic scale for design of façade components
- Capturing the Dynamics of Air in Design
- Complex human auditory perception and simulated sound performance prediction
- Design driven physical experimentation: a flexible wind sensing platform for architects
- Furniture design using custom-optimised structural nodes
- Humanizing Digital Reality: Design Modelling Symposium Paris 2017
- Investigating the effects of the geometry on speech privacy of semi-enclosed meeting spaces
- Negotiating Sound Performance and Advanced Manufacturing in Complex Architectural Design Modelling
- Prototyping for architects
- Reconsidering Pye’s theory of making through digital craft practice: A theoretical framework towards continuous designing
- Robotic Fabrication in Architecture, Art and Design 2016
- SMARTNODES PAVILION Towards Custom-optimized Nodes Applications in Construction
- Towards Intelligent Control in Generative Design
- Workmanship of risk: continuous designing in digital fabrication
Also published as: Burry, Jane; Burry, J.; Burry, Jane R.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Grant information is currently offline and as such is unable to be displayed here. A further update will be provided in mid-January 2019.