Dr Hing-Ho Tsang
Doctor of Philosophy, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong; Bachelor of Engineering (Civil Engineering), The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Engineering
- Centre for Sustainable Infrastructure
- Department of Civil and Construction Engineering
- ATC723 Hawthorn campus
Dr. Hing-Ho Tsang aspires to develop new knowledge and innovative technologies for enhancing structural safety of buildings and civil infrastructure under extreme events (e.g. earthquake, high wind, flood, landslide, impact and bomb blast), contributing to the sustainability and resilience of cities and our society. He lectured at The University of Hong Kong from 2007 to 2012, and was a Visiting Professor at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany, in 2013 and 2016. He has authored or co-authored 70 journal articles and 100 conference papers. His scholarly achievement has been recognised by four international research awards and five university prizes.
His research and engagement works have led to the enhancement of fundamental knowledge and design practices globally. He is a key contributor to the 2018 revision of the Australian earthquake loading standard AS1170.4, as well as the development of seismic design codes respectively for Hong Kong, China and Malaysia. He served as an Advisor and co-developed a seismic design guideline for the Hong Kong Housing Authority, and has been a specialist consultant for major infrastructure projects, such as the world’s longest cross-sea bridge: Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge.
Advanced Structural Engineering; Earthquake Engineering
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Coordinating Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Resilience and Robustness of Structures
Structural Design and Innovative Protective Technologies:
Structural Safety Policy and Disaster Risk Reduction Strategy
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Civil Engineering - 090500
Advanced Structural Engineering;Earthquake Engineering
- 2019, Swinburne, Faculty Research Translation Commendation Award, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2017, Swinburne, Research Impact Award, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2016, International, Visiting Professorship, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
- 2015, Swinburne, Top Teaching Award, Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2013, International, Visiting Professorship, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
- 2011, International, Asian Innovation Awards Finalist, Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones & Company
- 2008, International, Listed in Marquis Who’s Who in the World, Marquis Who’s Who
- 2008, International, Listed in 2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England
- 2008, International, Hsai-Yang Fang Research Award, International Society of Environmental Geotechnology
- 2007, Other, Norman W. M. Ko PhD Prize (Faculty Best PhD Thesis, 2005-2007), Faculty of Engineering, The University of Hong Kong
- 2007, Other, Li Ka Shing Prize (University Best Thesis, 2005-2006), Graduate School, The University of Hong Kong
- 2006, Other, University Postdoctoral Fellowship, The University of Hong Kong
- 2005, International, RNSA Highly Commendable Paper Award, Sixth International Conference on Shock and Impact Loads on Structures, Perth, Australia
- 2005, International, Endeavour Australia Cheung Kong Award, Australian Government Department of Education, Science and Training
- 2002, Other, Postgraduate Research Scholarship, The University of Hong Kong
Also published as: Tsang, Hing-Ho; Tsang, H.; Tsang, Hing Ho; Tsang, H. H.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2017: Cost -effective mitigation strategy development for building related earthquake risk *; Bushfire and Natural Hazards CRC - Contract
- 2014: Cost -effective mitigations strategy development for building related earthquake risk *; Bushfire and Natural Hazards CRC - Contract
- 2013: Development of earthquake loading model for East Malaysia *; Melbourne-Sarawak Research Collaboration Scheme
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display