Ms Helen Bird
Helen Bird is a law and corporate governance specialist, researching, publishing and teaching about regulatory trends and the implications of corporate law and corporate governance for Australian companies, the provision of financial services, dealings in securities and initial coin offerings. Through her work, Helen seeks continually to demystify and explain regulatory and legal complexity for the benefit and engagement of participants in corporate life, including directors, shareholders and corporations large and small. Previously a lecturer in contract law and corporations law at the University of Melbourne, Helen's research on the public enforcement of corporate law has been supported by research grants from the CRC, the ARC and the CIFC. Her research on share ownership was recently cited by the NSW Supreme Court in In the matter of Ten Network Holdings Limited (subject to a deed of company arrangement) (receivers and managers appointed)  NSWSC 1529 (10 November 2017). She was also a co-author with Sue Woodward and later, Sally Sievers, of the 3rd, 4th and 5th editions of Corporations Law in Principle published by Thomson Reuters. Prior to becoming an academic, Helen was a solicitor specialising in corporate and commercial litigation at Herbert Smith Freehills. At Swinburne, Helen is the course director of the Master of Corporate Governance, teaching in the subject, leadership and governance. Helen tweets on corporate governance related issues, using the Twitter handle @Birdsperch and posts on Corporate Governance matters on Linked In. She has law commerce degrees from the University of Queensland and a graduate diploma of corporation’s law from the University of Melbourne.
Fields of Research
- Corporations And Associations Law - 180109
- Other Law And Legal Studies - 189900
Also published as: Bird, Helen; Bird, H.; Bird, Helen L.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.
- 2018-05-17: Interview ABC Business - Enforceable Undertakings - ABC TV Business Insiders
- 2018-05-04: Commonwealth Bank board 'asleep at the wheel' during scandals, advocates say - Guardian
- 2017-11-10: In the matter of Ten Network Holdings Limited (subject to a deed of company arrangement) (receivers and managers appointed) - NSWSC
- 2017-10-27: ‘Why ANZ and NAB folded in ASIC’s bank bill rate rigging case’ - AFR