Professor Guy Metcalfe
Physics, Duke University, United States
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- Department of Mechanical Engineering and Product Design Engineering
- ORCID profile
Guy Metcalfe is a researcher and inventor whose work explores chaos, nonlinear dynamiccal systems, and Lagrangian coherent structures. Lagrangian structures are the mathematical "highways" of material transport; they control and mediate all interactions, heat and mass transport, and reaction in flowing materials. So Guy's work has generated many commercial inventions, including design of super efficient manufacturing processes, microfluidic diagnostic devices, geothermal energy and contaminant remediation technologies. Chaos is also useful to understand natural transport processes in, e.g., lung, blood, granular and magma flows, and in the thermodynamics of soft matter. Guy is a physicist, but as chaos is inherently interdisciplinary, in science and commercial applications, leading or contributing to teams, Guy continues widely interdisciplinary collaborations in the search to create something radically different but demonstrably better. Work over the entire spectrum from fundamental science to usage in the factory and field satisfies Guy's twin urges towards beauty and purpose.
Guy lives in Melbourne, Australia with his wife Lila and their three children, where he is a principal consultant for Universal Mixing Solutions and an Adjunct Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Swinburne University of Technology, after spending 20 years with the Australian national laboratory's (CSIRO) late Fluids Group and 3 years with the Monash University School of Mathematical Sciences.
Environmental Transport; Alveolar Transport; Process Design; Three-Dimensional Lagrangian Coherent Structures; Dynamical Systems with Memory
Fields of Research
- Dynamical Systems In Applications - 010204
- Fluid Physics - 020303
- Interdisciplinary Engineering - 091500
- 2017, International, Editors' Choice Award, top 15 paper for 2016, Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Nonlinear Science
- 2016, International, Editors' Choice Award, top 5 paper for 2015, Hydrogeology Journal
- 2012, International, Finalist Core Chemical Engineering Award, The Institution of Chemical Engineers
- 2011, National, Top 5 Manufacturing Innovation in The Australian Innovation Challenge, sponsored by The Australian newspaper and Shell Australia
- 2011, Other, Chief's Innovation Award, CSIRO
- 2010, International, First place 10xE Chemical Engineering/Entrepreneurship Challenge, American Institute of Chemical Engineers and the Rocky Mountain Institute
- 2019 - 2019: Assessor, Sigma Xi Student Resesarch Showcase, International
- 2016 - 2016: Assessor, Computational Techniques & Applications Conference, Student Presentation Prize Panel, International
- 2015 - 2015: Assessor, Sigma Xi Student Resesarch Showcase, International
- 2014 - 2014: Selector, Organizing Commitee, 8th biennial International Symposium on Mixing in the Process Industries, International
- 2014 - 2014: Selector, International Scientific Review Committee, 17th IUFoST World Congress of Food Science and Technology, International
- 2009 - 2009: Selector, Co-Convener, Modeling and Simulation Symposium, 25th Annual Meeting of the Polymer Processing Society, International
- 2008 - 2008: Selector, Chair, SPIE conference on Complexity and Nonlinear Dynamics, Australia
Also published as: Metcalfe, Guy; Metcalfe, G.; Metcalfe, Guy Parker
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.
There are no media items to display