Professor Edward Ogden
Professor Ogden is the Senior Research Fellow (Clinical Trials) in the Centre for Mental Health and Brain Sciences at Swinburne University of Technology. He is a legally qualified medical practitioner registered with the Medical Board of Australia (MED0001047937). He has 40 years clinical experience. He was involved in clinical forensic medicine with Victoria Police from 1979 to 2012 including 17 years as principal Medical Advisor. He is a consultant in Addiction Medicine at Austin Health and Addiction Medicine Specialist at Goulburn Valley Health. His primary degrees MBBS, BMedSc and MA were obtained from the University of Melbourne. He has Fellowships in the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (FRACGP), the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in the Chapter of Addiction Medicine (FAChAM) and the Royal College of Pathologists of Australia in the Faculty for Clinical Forensic Medicine (FFCFM).
He has an international reputation for clinical forensic medicine. He has written over 5000 expert opinions.
Research Output: Professor Ogden has been associated with the Centre for Human Psychopharmacology at Swinburne University of Technology for 20 years. He has authored 38 publications with 571 citations and has an h-index of eight. He has contributed to five chapters in professional textbooks.
Contribution to the discipline: Professor Ogden has supported more than 50 trials in the Centre for Human Psychopharmacology over two decades. His research into the relationship between drug use and responsibility for collision commenced in 2009 is continuing under the stewardship of the Road Safety Executive. He has contributed over 30 presentations at national and international conferences. He has been advisor to television productions and appeared in the ABC program ‘Ask the Doctor’. He is contributing to the development of drug treatment in rural and regional Australia. He has given expert advice to state and commonwealth departments. He has given written and oral evidence to parliamentary inquiries. He has been involved with external program reviews.
Current research: Goulburn Valley Alcohol and Drug Service is researching ADHD and substance use disorder 2024-2025.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Applied And Developmental Psychology - 520100
- Biological Psychology - 520200
- Clinical And Health Psychology - 520300
- Cognitive And Computational Psychology - 520400
- Social And Personality Psychology - 520500
Also published as: Ogden, Edward; Ogden, E.; Ogden, Ed
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2019: Adaptive trial of Cannabidiol (CBD) for depression and sleep in the setting of Cannabis Misuse Disorder *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2019: Cannabidiol (CBD) treatment for insomnia: a three-week randomised controlled pilot trial with a placebo run-in period (CBD-INS) *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2016: Design the Evaluation of GP Education Guidelines *; Department of Health and Human Services Fund Scheme
- 2011: Amphetamines and Violence in Police Custody Project *; Victoria Police (for Grants)
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display