Professor Dimitrios Georgakopoulos
- School of Software and Electrical Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
- EN509b Hawthorn campus
I am the inaugural Director of Swinburne’s IoT Lab in the University’s Digital Innovation Capability Platform, and the Industry 4.0 Program Leader in Swinburne’s Manufacturing Futures Research Institute. Before that I served as Research Director (2008-2014) of CSIRO’s ICT Centre and a Professor at RMIT University (2014-2016). At CSIRO I led the Information Engineering Laboratory, which was the largest Computer Science research program in Australia. Prior to joining CSIRO, I held research and management positions in several industrial laboratories in the USA, including Telcordia Technologies (where I helped found two of Telcordia’s Research Centers in Austin, Texas, and Poznan, Poland); Microelectronics and Computer Corporation (MCC) in Austin, Texas; GTE (currently Verizon) Laboratories in Boston, Massachusetts; and Bell Communications Research (Bellcore) in Piscataway, New Jersey.
I have authored/co-authored 190+ journal and conference publications in computer science, which include three seminal papers in the areas Service Computing, Workflow Management, Context Awareness in IoT. Per Google Scholar, my publications have received 18,400+ citations. I have received two outstanding/best paper awards from the IEEE Computer Society for the best paper in the IEEE Int. Conference on Data Engineering, and a best paper in the 2017 Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences in Hawaii, USA. I was the recipient of several IEEE CS service awards and GTE’s Excellence Award. Research impact awards include the 2013 Black Duck Rookie of the Year Award. In Australia, I have won four ACT iAwards and a CSIRO Plant Industry Divisional Innovation Award. I am a CSIRO Adjunct Fellow since 2014. More recently in Swinburne, I received the 2018 Vice Chancellor’s Innovation Award, and the 2019 Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology’s Research Award.
My research has attracted significant external research funding ($59M+) from industry and various government research funding agencies, including the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and ARDA (currently IARPA) in the USA, and the Framework Program in the EU. In Australia, my research has/is been funded by ARC, the Departments of Human Services, Industry, and Health, as well as 30+ industry partners. In the past 4.5 years in Swinburne, I am/was the lead CI or a CI in 16 industry/government-funded research projects that have been awarded $45M+ of research funding and include a $16.5M+ funding allocation to Swinburne.
Internet of Things
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Also published as: Georgakopoulos, Dimitrios; Georgakopoulos, D.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2021: A low cost IoT-based solution for Tracking and Monitoring of Freight Consignments *; Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications - Patnership
- 2021: Aerostructures Innovation Research Hub (AIR Hub) *; VIC Department of Education and Training
- 2021: An IoT solution for measuring knife sharpness and force in Red Meat Processing plants *; All Energy Pty Ltd - Fund Scheme
- 2021: Big Data Analytics for Billet Caster Control in EAF Steelmaking *; ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hubs
- 2020: ARC Research Hub for Australian Steel Innovation (Lead by University of Wollongong) *; ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hubs
- 2019: Development and Trial of an IoT Solution for labelling consistency and integrity in meat export supply chains *; Australian Meat Processor Corporation
- 2019: Development of an Internet of Things-based Physical Access Controller *; Innovation Connections
- 2019: Industry 4.0 Data-driven study for dealing with variation in the Vegemite Evaporation Process *; Bega Cheese Pty Ltd
- 2019: Industry 4.0 Inbound Milk Supply Chain Monitoring Pilot *; Bega Cheese Pty Ltd
- 2019: Industry 4.0 manufacturing of high-volume lightweight composites *; Global Innovation Linkages Program
- 2019: Live Inbound Milk Logistics Monitoring and Forecasting Platform *; Bega Cheese Pty Ltd
- 2018: Bus replacement services for rail passenger service disruptions *; iMOVECRC
- 2018: Development of a predictive machine health monitoring system for the factory of the future *; Asahi Holdings Pty Ltd - Fund Scheme
- 2017: Development and trial of a IoT-based system for environmental and corporate compliance monitoring of retail fuel outlets. *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- 2016: Demonstrating and Trialling of an Internet of Things Solution for Teal-Time Computation and delivery of plant KPIs *; Australian Meat Processor Corporation
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display