Professor Dimitrios Georgakopoulos
- School of Software and Electrical Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
- EN509b Hawthorn campus
I am currently the Director of Swinburne’s Key IoT Lab and I also lead Swinburne’s Industry 4.0 Program, which is affiliated with the Manufacturing Futures Research Institute. Before that I was Research Director of CSIRO’s ICT Centre and a Professor at RMIT University. Prior to CSIRO and RMIT, I held research and management positions in several industrial laboratories in the USA, including Telcordia Technologies (where I helped found two of Telcordia’s Research Centers in Austin, Texas, and Poznan, Poland); Microelectronics and Computer Corporation (MCC) in Austin, Texas; GTE (currently a Verizon) Laboratories in Boston, Massachusetts; and Bell Communications Research (Bellcore) in Piscataway, New Jersey
I have authored/co-authored 227 articles that have received approximately 21,000 citations. I am ranked by Microsoft Academic as one of the Top Authors in the fields of the Internet of Things (2013-2022), Context Awareness (1990-2022), Middleware (1990-2021), and Workflow (1993-2002). According to Elsevier’s Science-wide author databases of standardized citation indicators (2022 data update), I am in the 2% of top-cited authors (top 1%, if self-citations are not considered) in both the career and yearly rankings. I am ranked by Microsoft Academic as one of the Top Authors in the fields of the Internet of Things (2013-2022), Context Awareness (1990-2022), Middleware (1990-2021), and Workflow (1993-2002). I have won numerous awards, including 3 best paper awards in major CORE A*/A-ranked international conferences, 3 major organization-wide research awards from CSIRO and Swinburne, and 4 state iAwards from the Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA).
My personal research has attracted $60.5M external research funding from industry and government research funding sources in Australia, EU, and USA. In the past 5 years in Swinburne, I am/was the lead CI or a CI of 20 industry/government-funded research projects that have been/are awarded $47.5M of research grants and include a $19.5M funding allocation to Swinburne.
I have more than 10 years of executive organizational leadership experience in world class research organisations. In conjunction to the above leadership roles, I have led or co-led 7 large-scale, cross-disciplinary initiatives of major impact and influence that raised $100M+ of research funding for my organisation, including: Swinburne's Industry 4.0 program, CSIRO's Human Services Delivery Research Alliance (HSDRA) with the Department of Human Services, Digital Water ManagementTrasformation in the Water Information Research and Development Alliance (WIRADA) between CSIRO and BoM, CSIRO’s Smart Farming, and Telcordia Information Awareness.
Internet of Things; Optimisation and Workflow Management; Artificial Intelligence in Manufacturing
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Also published as: Georgakopoulos, Dimitrios; Georgakopoulos, D.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2022: SenShaMart: A Trusted Internet of Things Marketplace for Sensor Sharing *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2021: A low cost IoT-based solution for Tracking and Monitoring of Freight Consignments *; iMOVECRC
- 2021: Aerostructures Innovation Research Hub (AIR Hub) *; VIC Department of Education and Training
- 2021: An IoT solution for measuring knife sharpness and force in Red Meat Processing plants *; All Energy Pty Ltd - Fund Scheme
- 2021: ARC Training Centre for Information Resilience (CIRES) *; ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centres
- 2021: Big Data Analytics for Billet Caster Control in EAF Steelmaking *; ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hubs
- 2021: Mobile 5G IoT Solution for Data Driven Road Asset Maintenance in Brimbank *; Australian 5G Innovation Initiative
- 2020: ARC Research Hub for Australian Steel Innovation (Lead by University of Wollongong) *; ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hubs
- 2019: Development and Trial of an IoT Solution for labelling consistency and integrity in meat export supply chains *; Australian Meat Processor Corporation
- 2019: Development of an Internet of Things-based Physical Access Controller *; Innovation Connections
- 2019: Industry 4.0 Data-driven study for dealing with variation in the Vegemite Evaporation Process *; Bega Cheese Pty Ltd
- 2019: Industry 4.0 Inbound Milk Supply Chain Monitoring Pilot *; Bega Cheese Pty Ltd
- 2019: Industry 4.0 manufacturing of high-volume lightweight composites *; Global Innovation Linkages Program
- 2019: Live Inbound Milk Logistics Monitoring and Forecasting Platform *; Bega Cheese Pty Ltd
- 2018: Bus replacement services for rail passenger service disruptions *; iMOVECRC
- 2017: Development and trial of a IoT-based system for environmental and corporate compliance monitoring of retail fuel outlets. *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- 2016: Demonstrating and Trialling of an Internet of Things Solution for Teal-Time Computation and delivery of plant KPIs *; Australian Meat Processor Corporation
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display