Professor Dimitrios Georgakopoulos
- School of Software and Electrical Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
- EN509b Hawthorn campus
I am currently the Director of the ARC Research Hub for Future Digital Manufacturing, the Director of Swinburne's key IoT Lab, and the University's Industry 4.0 Program program leader. Before that I served as Research Director (2008-2014) of CSIRO’s ICT Centre and a Professor at RMIT University (2014-2016). At CSIRO I led the Information Engineering Laboratory, which was the largest Computer Science research program in Australia. Prior to joining CSIRO, I held research and management positions in industrial laboratories in the USA, including Telcordia Technologies (where I helped found two of Telcordia’s Research Centers in Austin, Texas, and Poznan, Poland); Microelectronics and Computer Corporation (MCC) in Austin; GTE (currently Verizon) Laboratories in Boston; and Bell Communications Research (Bellcore) in New Jersey. I am a CSIRO Adjunct Fellow since 2014.
I have authored approximately 283 journal and conference articles that have received approximately 23,00 citations. According to the October 2022 update of Elsevier’s science-wide author databases of standardized citation indicators, he is in the 2% of top-cited authors globally (top 1% if self-citations are excluded) in both career and 2022 rankings. My research has attracted $77.1M of external research grants/contracts. Just in the past 7 years at Swinburne, he was chief/lead investigator in 21 research projects that have been awarded $59.735M of external research funding and include a $31.135M funding allocation to Swinburne. I have also led 7 major cross-disciplinary research initiatives that received approximately $100M of government funding for advancing digital transformation in social services, agriculture, water management, security, and defense. I have received numerus awards that include best paper awards from CORE A/A* conferences, 5 state iAwards, and sevral research impact awards in Australia and the USA. More recently we won the 2023 National iAward for the Public and Government sector in Australia. In Swinburne, I have more recently received a Vice Chancellor’s Innovation Award (2018), and a Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology’s Research Award (2019).
I have 13 years of executive experience in world class research organisations and I have led 7 large cross-disciplinary initiatives of of major impact and influence that provided 100M+ of research funding.
Internet of Things; Optimisation and Workflow Management; Artificial Intelligence in Manufacturing
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Also published as: Georgakopoulos, Dimitrios; Georgakopoulos, D.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2022: SenShaMart: A Trusted Internet of Things Marketplace for Sensor Sharing *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2021: A low cost IoT-based solution for Tracking and Monitoring of Freight Consignments *; iMOVECRC
- 2021: Aerostructures Innovation Research Hub (AIR Hub) *; VIC Department of Education and Training
- 2021: An IoT solution for measuring knife sharpness and force in Red Meat Processing plants *; All Energy Pty Ltd - Fund Scheme
- 2021: ARC - IH200100005 - Australian Steel Innovation (Led by Wollongong) *; ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hubs
- 2021: ARC - IH200100005 - Project 4.1.7 - Big Data Analytics for Billet Caster Control in EAF Steelmaking *; ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hubs
- 2021: ARC Training Centre for Information Resilience (CIRES) *; ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centres
- 2021: Mobile 5G IoT Solution for Data Driven Road Asset Maintenance in Brimbank *; Australian 5G Innovation Initiative
- 2019: Development and Trial of an IoT Solution for labelling consistency and integrity in meat export supply chains *; Australian Meat Processor Corporation
- 2019: Development of an Internet of Things-based Physical Access Controller *; Innovation Connections
- 2019: Industry 4.0 Data-driven study for dealing with variation in the Vegemite Evaporation Process *; Bega Cheese Pty Ltd
- 2019: Industry 4.0 Inbound Milk Supply Chain Monitoring Pilot *; Bega Cheese Pty Ltd
- 2019: Industry 4.0 manufacturing of high-volume lightweight composites *; Global Innovation Linkages Program
- 2019: Live Inbound Milk Logistics Monitoring and Forecasting Platform *; Bega Cheese Pty Ltd
- 2018: Bus replacement services for rail passenger service disruptions *; iMOVECRC
- 2017: Development and trial of a IoT-based system for environmental and corporate compliance monitoring of retail fuel outlets. *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- 2016: Demonstrating and Trialling of an Internet of Things Solution for Teal-Time Computation and delivery of plant KPIs *; Australian Meat Processor Corporation
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display