Dr Darren C Fisher
Doctor of Visual Arts, Griffith University, Australia; Bachelor of Animation with Honours, Griffith University, Australia
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Film and Animation
- AMDC709 Hawthorn campus
Dr. Darren C Fisher is a Drawing and Animation Lecturer in the Faculty of Social Sciences, Media, Film and Education at Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne. Darren’s research and creative practice spans across areas as broad as workplace health and safety, disability, education, psychology, tenant’s rights, and autobiography. In 2019 Darren received national recognition for his research in graphic narratives, creative practice pedagogy and creative foci as a ‘Top 5 Media, Humanities and Social Sciences Early Career Researcher’ from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC). Darren is a keen believer that image making and graphic storytelling are utilitarian and generative practices that are accessible to everyone and are beneficial for positive mental health, creativity, and the facilitation of self-exploration.
Darren has taught drawing and image-based storytelling in a variety of contexts including higher education, evening short courses, weekend workshops, and at community libraries, working with skilled image makers and people with social disadvantage in a therapeutic setting alike. His professional activities extend to a defined community of practice in comics and graphic novels, leading and managing creative teams for exhibition and publication of projects nationally. Darren’s teaching focuses on industry readiness through producing for creative industries, animation production, and both traditional and digital drawing. He has initiated and led co-curricular activities that extend classroom practices, regularly connecting and engage with students under a shared disciplinary banner and providing a non-hierarchical forum for students to come together in an open studio context.
identity; autobiography; comics; practice-based research; sequential art; storytelling; drawing
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Co-Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Screen And Digital Media - 360500
- Visual Arts - 360600
Digital Media, Film and Television;drawing;lifedrawing;storyboarding;storytelling;preproduction;research techniques;production management
- 2019, National, ABC Top 5 Media HASS Scholar, University of Sydney
- 2018 - 2018: Reviewer, Australian Video Producer Awards, Australia
- 2018 - 2021: Reviewer, Cilect:The International Association of Film and Television Schools, France
- 2018 - 2021: Reviewer, ATOM Awards, Australia
Also published as: Fisher, Darren; Fisher, D. C.; Fisher, Darren C.; Fisher, Darren Clint
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.
- 2021-02-26: Q&A with Darren Fisher - The Suburban Review
- 2020-06-18: Surviving an eviction during a pandemic through comics - Ozanimate
- 2019-12-11: Reflections on a 2019 ABC Top 5 Media Residency - Swinburne Newsroom
- 2019-10-04: ABC residency for Swinburne animation lecturer and comic researcher - Nitro
- 2019-07-11: ABC and University of Sydney celebrate Australia's Top 5 humanities and social sciences scholars - ABC.net.au
- 2018-09-23: Swinburne comic artist begins ABC residency - Swinburne Newsroom