Dr Carolyn Beasley
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Media and Communication
- AS326 Hawthorn campus
Carolyn is the Faculty's Program Director of undergraduate and postgraduate Writing courses. This encompasses the Creative Writing and Literature major, Professional Writing and Editing major, Graduate Certificate of Arts (Writing), Graduate Diploma of Arts (Writing), and the Master of Arts (Writing).
She taught Creative Writing, Writing, Journalism, Liberal Arts, Public Relations, and English as a Second Language at Victoria University, Kangan TAFE, and a number of RTOs before joining Swinburne's Writing Discipline as a sessional in 2004 and then as a permanent staff member in 2009.
Carolyn is a multiple award-winning short story writer. She has also worked as a photographer, journalist, and freelance writer. She also regularly judges literary awards. Her journalism and fiction has been published both nationally and internationally. She has been awarded an ALTC and Swinburne's Vice Chancellor's Award for her teaching in prisons. Carolyn was also the recipient of three internal team research grants, two Faculty teaching Innovation Awards, a Learning Futures grant, and the Faculty Leadership and Service Award for 2017.
Cultural Studies and Literature; Communication, Journalism and Media Studies; Housing and Urban Studies; Digital Media, Film and Television
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Creative Writing (incl. Playwriting) - 190402
- Media Studies - 200104
- Stylistics And Textual Analysis - 200526
- 2014, Swinburne, Research Development Grant for â€˜Television Pilots as Pitching Deviceâ€™ with Marilyn Tofler and Jason Bainbridge $3000, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2014, Swinburne, Media and Communications Teaching and Learning Innovation Grant $3000, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2014, Swinburne, Learning Futures Seed Project Grant $5000, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2014, Swinburne, FHAD Team Award for Innovation and Excellence in Learning, Teaching and Assessment, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2014, Swinburne, FHAD Award for Innovation and Excellence in Learning , Swinburne University of Technology
- 2013, Swinburne, Research Development Grant for â€˜Challenges of Parole For Former Female Offendersâ€™ with Jason Bainbridge and Kerry Tucker, Swinburne Univeristy of Technology
- 2011, Swinburne, Research Development Grant, 'â€˜Television Pilots as Pitching Deviceâ€™ with Marilyn Tofler and Jason Bainbridge, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2011, Swinburne, Research Development Grant for â€˜Melbourne as Symbolic City: Analysing the tension between the cultural city and the events cityâ€™ with Craig McIntosh and Jason Bainbridge, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2010, National, ALTC for teaching and outreach for incarcerated students, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2009, Swinburne, Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Award (Higher Education), Swinburne University of Technology
Also published as: Beasley, Carolyn; Beasley, C.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
There are no grants to display.
There are no media items to display