Dr Christine Agius
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Social Sciences
- 400B213 Hawthorn campus
Christine Agius is Senior Lecturer in Politics and IR, with a specialism in Security Studies. She has a BA (Hons) degree in Political Science from the University of Melbourne, Australia and a PhD in International Relations and Security from the University of Manchester, UK. Prior to joining Swinburne, she held lecturing posts at universities in the UK (Salford, Lancaster, Edinburgh, and Liverpool John Moores). With Dean Keep, she established the Identity Research Network in April 2014. Website: http://identityresearchnetwork.wordpress.com and Twitter: https://twitter.com/IDResNet Follow me on Academia.edu
Politics; International Relations; Security Studies; European Politics; Nordic Politics; Gender; Discourse Analysis; Violence; International Relations Theory; Identity; Social Democracy; Foreign Policy
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Gender: masculinism, the politics of protection gender and security gender and foreign policy
International Relations and Security: IR theory, particularly post-structuralist, critical and discursive approaches Non-traditional security Security and questions of identity Violence in the international system, broadly conceived.
Nordic/Scandinavian politics: Foreign and security policy Immigration policy Social democracy and social democratic theory Relations with the European Union, NATO and other organisations Internationalism Gender Globalisation Identity.
Security: drone warfare military, states, gender militarily non-aligned states
The Politics of Identity: Identity, particularly the intersection between identity and security (national identity; foreign policy; subjectivity; performative aspects of security and identity; problematising identity)
Available to supervise honours students.
Honours topics and outlines
Honours Supervision: I welcome supervision on the following topics: international security international relations theory and security studies identity gender
Fields of Research
- International Relations - 160607
- 2015, International, Funding for conference attendance International Society of Political Psychology, San Diego, Lund University, Sweden
- 2014, Swinburne, Research Development Grant Scheme, Swinburne
- 2014, International, International Studies Association (ISA) Travel Grant, International Studies Association
- 2012, Swinburne, Small Research Grant, Swinburne Institute of Social Research
- 2012, International, International Studies Association (ISA) Travel Grant, International Studies Association
- 2009, International, International Conference Fund, University of Salford, UK
- 2008, International, International Studies Association (ISA) Travel Grant, International Studies Association
- 2007, International, Small Research Grant, British Academy, UK
- 2007, International, Overseas Conference Travel Grant, British Academy, UK
- 2006, International, VC Scholarship, University of Salford, UK
- 2006, International, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, University of Manchester, UK
- 2006, International, International Studies Association (ISA) Travel Grant, International Studies Association
- 2006, International, International Conference Fund, University of Salford, UK
- 2006, International, Salford Merit Award, University of Salford, UK
- 2002, International, Small Research Grant, Lancaster University, UK
- 1997, National, Travel Grant-in-Aid, University of Melbourne
- 1997, International, Norman Chester Fund, University of Manchester, UK
Also published as: Agius, Christine; Agius, C.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Grant information is currently offline and as such is unable to be displayed here. A further update will be provided in mid-January 2019.
- 2018-08-25: Cold War Redux? War Preparation and National Security in Sweden - School of Global Studies Blogpost, Gothenburg University, Sweden
- 2018-08-09: (Re)Masculinising the world? Thinking about international relations through the logic of masculinism - British International Studies Association Blog
- 2016-03-07: Drone warfare - 3CR Monday Breakfast Show
- 2015-05-28: Metadata, terrorism and security - Swinburne Journalism Current Affairs show
- 2015-05-07: Freedom and Violence - Melbourne Free University
- 2015-04-23: Datolinjen programme - Radio 24syv (Denmark)