Professor Billy Todd
Billy Todd is a Professor at Swinburne’s Department of Mathematics and was its inaugural Department Chair (October 2012 - December 2018 inclusive, including Discipline Leader). His research specialties include statistical mechanics of non-equilibrium systems, non-equilibrium molecular dynamics and computational nanofluidics.
Alongside his research work, Professor Todd teaches a variety of mathematics subjects including numerical and computational mathematics. He is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Physics and a member of the American Physical Society and the Australian Mathematical Society. He is a former President of the Australian Society of Rheology and Council Member. He currently holds a number of honourary academic appointments including Visiting Professor at Imperial College London (Tribology Group), Honorary Professor in the Department of Sciences and Environment at Roskilde University (Denmark) and Adjunct Professor in the Department of Applied Mechanics at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras. He is an inaugeral elected member of the Swinburne Professorial Board.
Prior to joining Swinburne in 1999, Professor Todd completed his undergraduate and postgraduate studies in physics at the University of Western Australia and Murdoch University. He then completed postdoctoral appointments at the University of Cambridge and the Australian National University, before moving to CSIRO in Melbourne in 1996.
Molecular Modelling; Computational Nanofluidics; Statistical Mechanics
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
PhD in Molecular Tribology: Computation and Experiment: This is an exciting opportunity to pursue research supported by an ARC Discovery grant with partners at Imperial College London and RMIT University. The project involves molecular dynamics computer simulation and experimental studies on reducing friction at the molecular level. The student will spend 12 months at Imperial College. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Fields of Research
- Statistical Mechanics In Chemistry - 340703
- Transport Properties And Non-equilibrium Processes - 340609
- Applied Mathematics Not Elsewhere Classified - 490199
Also published as: Todd, Billy; Todd, B.; Todd, B. D.; Todd, Billy D.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2020: Molecular design of complex lubricants to reduce friction *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2019: Deep Ocean Thermodynamics and Climate Change *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2014: AMSI Intern Program *; IAS Hew Pty Ltd
- 2012: Accurate transport theory for nanofluidic separation science *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2012: Visiting Researcher Scheme 2012 - Allen *; Research Advisory Group- Visiting Researcher Scheme 2012
- 2011: CSIRO Student Agreement with Afsana Ahmed *; CSIRO Flagship Collaboration Research Fund
* Chief Investigator
- 2018-03-15: Certainty in flux - Swinburne Research Impact