Dr Belinda Barnet
PhD, UNSW, Australia
- School of Social Sciences, Media, Film and Education
- Department of Media and Communication
- AS423 Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Dr Belinda Barnet is Senior Lecturer in Media at Swinburne with research interests in digital cultures, social media, data privacy, platform regulation and the history of digital media. She welcomes applications from prospective PhD students working on topics in digital media.
Alongside her research work, Dr Barnet has worked as Service Delivery Manager (Wireless Content Services) for Ericsson Australia. She is the author of "Memory Machines: the Evolution of Hypertext" (Anthem Press UK, 2013).
digital media; social media
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Screen And Digital Media - 360500
- Communication And Media Studies - 470100
Communication, Journalism and Media Studies
- 1997, National, The John Howard Clark Prize, University of Adelaide
Also published as: Barnet, Belinda; Barnet, B.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2009: Future broadband services S2020 -02 *; Smart Services CRC: New Media Services
* Chief Investigator
- 2020-08-30: Can Australia Force Google and Facebook to Pay for News? - Wired
- 2020-08-28: OOGLE’S ‘SCARE CAMPAIGN’: WHAT’S THE GO WITH THOSE NEW WARNING ALERTS? - SBS
- 2020-08-26: The coronavirus tracing app gets a privacy tick, but it will test Australians' trust - SMH
- 2020-08-24: Google protests 'unworkable' ACCC code for digital platforms to pay news media companies - The Guardian
- 2020-08-22: Media Diversity Not Just Another Box to be Ticked - Canberra Times
- 2020-08-19: sOracle said to be in negotiations to buy TikTok - SMH
- 2020-04-15: Mobile tracking app the next step to curb coronavirus spread - 3AW
- 2019-01-16: Sharing Your Netflix? Here's Why You Should be Worried - The New Daily
- 2019-01-15: Signing Off Messages With 'X' Isn't Flirting - Ten Daily
- 2018-11-13: The deadline for My Health Record has been extended - Yahoo Finance
- 2018-10-18: ‘Creepy’: Here’s why your phone could be listening to your conversations - The New Daily
- 2018-10-05: Virgin Australia launches Alexa voice recognition check-in service - The New Daily
- 2018-09-21: Folks Are Mad The Govt Promised $4.5B For Private Schools And $0 For Public - Pedestrian TV
- 2018-09-17: Users Like Facebook Despite Privacy Issues - SBS News
- 2018-08-03: How Apple became world’s first trillion-dollar company - The New Daily
- 2018-07-20: Errors and incompetence': Australians split over government's opt-out digital health records - The Age
- 2018-04-10: Facebook data: how to protect your personal information - The Sunday Times
- 2018-04-09: How to stop haemorrhaging your data on Facebook - TechCentral
- 2018-04-05: Facebook data leak: Australia’s privacy commissioner to investigate - The West Australian
- 2018-03-23: Guy mansplains the internet to web inventor Sir Tim-Berners Lee and gets hilariously called out - The Sun (UK)