Dr Ali Yavari
- School of Software and Electrical Engineering
- Swinburne Research
- Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
- EN507a Hawthorn campus
Ali has received his Master of Science degree in Communication Systems from KTH Royal Institute of Technology - Sweden and his Ph.D. from School of Computer Science and Information Technology at Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) - Australia. Ali had been with Digital Productivity Flagship and Data61 at CSIRO. Prior to joining RMIT, he worked as Research Engineer at KTH University's Mobile Service Lab and Communication Systems Department.
As lead/co chief investigator, he has significantly contributed to several European and Australian research and development projects supported by external research funding from industry collaborators or/and government. These projects were mostly collaborative with large companies and organisations including, but not limited to, EIT ICT Lab, Wireless@KTH, TeliaSonera, Vinnova, Ericsson, Asahi Beverages, Optus, Telstra, Software AG, Australian Meat Processor Corporation, and Siemens. Moreover, he has been working for more than a decade in IT industry as project manager, solution designer, and software developer for aviation, bank, and IT companies in several countries.
Ali serves as program committee member and designated reviewer in several international conferences and workshops. He had served as a committee member in Computer Society Chapter at IEEE Victorian Section. He is also a member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
Ali has received several prestigious awards such as Victoria Fellowship in Physical Sciences from the Victoria State Government.
Internet of Things; Contextualisation; Machine Learning; Big Data; Information System; Sensor Network; Computer Security; IT Entrepreneurship; Wireless Network; Mobile and Pervasive Computing
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
PhD Scholarships are available (IoT and Big Data Analytics) : If you are interested in doing your PhD in the area of IoT and big data analytics at Swinburne (Dept of Computing Technologies), please send your application to email@example.com
Victorian Hydrogen Hub Impact PhD - Hybrid and Smart Adapter for Renewable Energy Plants: The specific focus of this PhD position is to design and implement of a smart and hybrid adapter for renewable hydrogen plant equipment such as electrolyser and fuel cell to support uninterruptible hydrogen production and consumption in a renewable hydrogen plant.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Information Systems - 460900
- Software Engineering - 461200
Scientific Computing and Visualisation;Cloud Computing;Human Computer Interactions;Internet of Things;Software Engineering;Software Security
- 2021, Swinburne, Highly Commended Mention in Vice-Chancellor’s Research Excellence (Early Career) Award , Swinburne University of Technology
- 2020, National, Victoria Fellowship in Physical Sciences, Victoria State Government
- 2019, Swinburne, FSET Research Collaboration Across Non-traditional Boundaries Award, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2018, Other, Conference Bursary , The Emerging Sensing Technologies Summit
- 2017, Other, Travel Grant, International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems
- 2017, International, ISSIP-IBM Paper Award, HICSS
- 2017, National, Creativity Award, Oracle and Locatrix Communication
- 2015, National, First prize at the Unearthed Hackathon, Unearthed
- 2014, Other, School of Computer Science and Information Technology Scholarship , RMIT University
- 2014, Other, Office of the Chief Executive Scholarship, CSIRO
Also published as: Yavari, Ali; Yavari, A.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2022: Design and Development of the Digital Twin for Improving Safety and Production Efficiency of the Renewable Energy Plant of the Future *; Future Energy Exports CRC Limited Fund Scheme
- 2022: Investigating the Impact of Millimetre Wave and Synchrotron THz Radiation on the Denaturation of Corneal Collagen Using Synchrotron FTIR Microspectrsocopy - THz section *; Australian Nuclear Science & Technology Organisation
- 2021: An IoT solution for measuring knife sharpness and force in Red Meat Processing plants *; All Energy Pty Ltd - Fund Scheme
- 2021: Design and Development of the Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) for an Interoperable Renewable Hydrogen Plant *; Future Energy Exports CRC Limited Fund Scheme
- 2020: SCOPE 3, collecting and reporting last mile Green House Gas emissions: prototype and field trial *; Scope_FS
- 2019: Development of an Internet of Things-based Physical Access Controller *; Innovation Connections
- 2019: Industry 4.0 Inbound Milk Supply Chain Monitoring Pilot *; Bega Cheese Pty Ltd
- 2019: Live Inbound Milk Logistics Monitoring and Forecasting Platform *; Bega Cheese Pty Ltd
- 2018: Development of a deep-learning based solution for detecting corrosion in industrial assets using images captured from drones *; Robonomics AI
- 2018: Digital Data/Survey management system for continuous quality improvement *; Parenting Research Centre_PT
- 2017: Development and trial of a IoT-based system for environmental and corporate compliance monitoring of retail fuel outlets. *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
* Chief Investigator
- 2020-11-26: Victoria Fellowship for Swinburne’s Dr Ali Yavari - Swinburne News
- 2020-11-26: Victorian Endowment for Science, Knowledge and Innovation - Campus Morning Mail
- 2020-11-25: Victoria Fellowship - Veski
- 2017-12-20: Roya won the Melbourne prize for the Creativity Award - RMIT News
- 2016-05-07: Sensors technology provides smart safety solution for mining workers - RMIT News
- 2016-03-09: RMIT & CSIRO develop smart safety system for mining workers - Australian Manufacturing
- 2015-11-27: Unearthed Melbourne Winners: IoT Meets PPE - Unearthed
- 2015-11-16: Clothing with Bluetooth safety alerts idea wins mining hackathon - Delimiter
- 2015-11-16: Making mining ‘wearables’ - Australian Mining
- 2015-11-16: Mine safety IoT project wins Vic hackathon - IoT Hub
- 2015-11-11: Melbourne Hackathon Unearths A Winner - Premier of Victoria