Professor Antony Tang
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Software and Electrical Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
- EN506e Hawthorn campus
Antony's research interest is in software architectural design and design reasoning. Most research on improving software development processes focus on analysis and design processes and methods. There is little understanding on how design decisions are made by people and how their thinking and decision making influence design. As designers, we assume that we make the correct design decisions based on our intuition and experience. A deeper understanding of design decisions and the process to reach decisions provide insights into whether decisions are sound and how to improve them. Such research can help software architects and designers to better design, evaluate, trace and maintain complex systems. Antony's other research interest is to build accurate indoor location systems and sensors. The objective of this project is to help elderly people in a nursing home, elderly people living alone in their own homes, and patients in hospital. We use various devices to detect where people are and their postures. Then we use machine learning algorithms to determine if a person is in an anomaly situation. Examples are falling in the bathroom, staying in the hallway or in the backyard for overly long time, not getting out of bed as usual. We have a laboratory at Swinburne and we work with industry partners, hospital and nursing home.
Internet of Things; Software Engineering
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Software Engineering - 080309
Also published as: Tang, Antony; Tang, A.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2017: Telescope Stage 2: Parasite Image Recognition, Filter enhancement, Visualisation of Design *; All Farm Animal Health Trust FS
- 2015: Position Tracking by RFID and Video Imaging (for Vic Govt Tech Voucher) *; Adilam Technologies Pty Ltd
- 2014: Industrial Transformation Training Centre in Biodevices and Diagnostics *; ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centres
- 2014: NICTA Victoria Software Systems *; NICTA ICT Australia Software Systems Research Group
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display