Dr Andrew Peters
- School of Social Sciences, Media, Film and Education
- Department of Social Sciences
- 400B 108 Hawthorn campus
Andrew has been lecturing in Indigenous Studies and Tourism at Swinburne since 2000 and currently teaches across all stages of the undergraduate level. He was awarded his PhD in 2017 for his artefact and exegesis project titled "Moondani Yulenj: An examination of Aboriginal culture, identity and education", and previously completed a Business degree with Honours at Swinburne's Lilydale campus. Andrew received an individual citation from the Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC) for outstanding contributions to student learning in 2008, and in 2012 Andrew was awarded the Swinburne University Vice Chancellor's Indigenous Education Award for recognition of his ongoing contribution to Indigenous education and culture through innovative curriculum design, and the establishment and maintenance of crucial links between Swinburne and local Aboriginal communities. Andrew's research interests include contemporary cultural identity, sport and culture, Indigenous tourism development, and contemporary utilising of Indigenous Knowledges. Recent projects include an evaluation of a study support program for Indigenous inmates at Port Phillip Prison; an inquiry into private rental for Indigenous people, and the role and effect of Indigenous culture and knowledge; and an evaluation of cultural identity and continuity of young Indigenous leaders in the REAL Program of the Korin Gamadji Institute at the Richmond Football Club.
In 2019, Andrew was a recipient of a Swinburne University Lifetime Achievement award for his contribution to Indigenous education and cultrual understanding.
Outside of work Andrew enjoys many sports (AFL, cricket, tennis, swimming, gridiron and baseball (US) and horseracing).
Cultural Studies and Literature; Indigenous education; Indigenous culture and identity; Postcolonialism in sport in Australia; Indigenous tourism
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Associate Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Cultural Studies - 470200
- Tourism - 350800
- Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander Research Methods - 450115
- Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander Information And Knowledge Management Systems - 450606
- Indigenous Data And Data Technologies - 451906
- Indigenous Methodologies - 451907
Cultural Studies and Literature;Education
- 2019, Swinburne, Lifetime Achievement Award, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2018, Swinburne, PVC Faculty Award for Leadership and Service, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2012, Swinburne, Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Award for Indigenous Education, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2008, National, ALTC Citation for Outstanding Teaching, Australian Learning and Teaching Council
Also published as: Peters, Andrew; Peters, A.; Peters, Andrew J.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2020: Aboriginal Private Rental Access Project *; Consumer Policy Research Centre - Research Pathways Program
- 2018: Inquiry into an effective homelessness services system *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
* Chief Investigator
- 2023-01-26: "Sin Tis Allis" - Australia Day discussion - Rythmos Radio
- 2022-09-07: The Score - Victorian Treaty process - 3RRR
- 2021-09-15: Indigenous Technology and knowledge - 3RRR
- 2021-09-14: ‘Counterpoint’ with Amanda Vanstone - ABC Radio National
- 2021-09-09: Indigenous Technologies Used Everyday, but misunderstoodOD - The Wire
- 2021-02-06: Australians encouraged to travel around the country - 2GF Radio
- 2020-01-26: What is Australia Day - and why is it controversial? - SBS Online
- 2019-10-25: Tourists scale Uluru for the last time - ABC TV
- 2019-10-24: Australians resent a ban on climbing their country’s most famous rock - The Economist
- 2019-06-25: Uluru visitor rush ahead of climbing ban prompts fears for local tourism - ABC News
- 2016-04-23: Climbing Uluru and the sensitivities of tourism - ABC Radio
- 2008-08-19: Prestigious Award - Star News
- 2008-02-14: Conference hears overseas visitors misguided about Indigenous culture - ABC Online