Dr Andrew Peters
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Social Sciences
- 400B 108 Hawthorn campus
Andrew has been lecturing in Indigenous Studies and Tourism at Swinburne since 2000 and currently teaches across all stages of the undergraduate level. He was awarded his PhD in 2017 for his artefact and exegesis project titled "Moondani Yulenj: An examination of Aboriginal culture, identity and education", and previously completed a Business degree with Honours at Swinburne's Lilydale campus. Andrew received an individual citation from the Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC) for outstanding contributions to student learning in 2008, and in 2012 Andrew was awarded the Swinburne University Vice Chancellor's Indigenous Education Award for recognition of his ongoing contribution to Indigenous education and culture through innovative curriculum design, and the establishment and maintenance of crucial links between Swinburne and local Aboriginal communities. Andrew's research interests include contemporary cultural identity, sport and culture, Indigenous tourism development, and contemporary utilising of Indigenous Knowledges. Recent projects include an evaluation of a study support program for Indigenous inmates at Port Phillip Prison; video and written documentation of the life of Aunty Dot Peters, Yarra Yarra elder, and the process of making a traditional eel trap utilising Indigenous Knowledge; and an evaluation of cultural identity and continuity of young Indigenous leaders in the REAL Program of the Korin Gamadji Institute at the Richmond Football Club.
Outside of work Andrew enjoys many sports (AFL, cricket, tennis, swimming, gridiron and baseball (US) and horseracing).
Indigenous education; Indigenous culture and identity; Postcolonialism in sport in Australia; Cultural Studies and Literature; Indigenous tourism
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Associate Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Cultural Studies - 200200
- Tourism - 150600
- 2012, Swinburne, Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Award for Indigenous Education, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2008, National, ALTC Citation for Outstanding Teaching, Australian Learning and Teaching Council
Also published as: Peters, Andrew; Peters, A.; Peters, Andrew J.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2018: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Engagement in Disability Services *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
- 2018: Inquiry into an effective homelessness services system *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
* Chief Investigator