Associate Professor Andi Nygaard
- School of Social Sciences, Media, Film and Education
- Centre for Urban Transitions
- EW112 Hawthorn campus
Associate Professor Christian (Andi) Nygaard is an applied social and urban economists. He is the current Director of Centre for Urban Transitions (CUT), Swinburne University of Technology; and the Swinburne-AHURI Reserach Centre Director. The CUT's mission is to enable just, healthy and productive urban futures through actionable and solutions oriented research. He has previously held research and teaching positions in the United Kingdom and Australia.
Andi's primary research interests are in the dynamics of urban change and institutional innovation. His urban change research includes long-term socio-spatial dynamics, urban economics and sustainability transitions. His institutional research includes governance adaption and innovation for affordable housing provision, transitioning to circular economies and industrial policy making in resource rich countries. These reserach areas are connected by the economic processes and social behaviours, such as persistence and path dependence; property rights and institutions; and, spatial social structures and social interactions, that inhibit and enable change.
Since January 2019 Andi has been the Economics and Econometrics editor for Housing Studies, the leading forum for theoretical and analytical developments in the field of housing research. He is a Research Fellow of the 'Centre for Euro-Asian Studies' (UK). Previous roles include trustee (2014-2017) and Chair or Trustees (2016-2017) for the Reading Refugee Support Group (UK); Committee member of the Royal Statistical Society’s 'Official Statistics Section' and 'Discussion Meeting Committee'; School Director for Teaching and Learning, School of Politics, Economics and International Relations (University of Reading, UK).
Housing and Urban Studies
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Housing Markets, Development And Management - 330403
- Urban And Regional Economics - 380118
- Other Economics Not Elsewhere Classified - 389999
Also published as: Nygaard, Andi; Nygaard, A.; Nygaard, Christian-Ander; Nygaard, C.; Nygaard, C. A.; Nygaard, Christian; Nygaard, Christian (Andi); Nygaard, Christian A.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2023: A fair rent? *; Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute Fund Scheme
- 2022: Emissions and economic modelling of road and rail freight in NSW *; iMOVECRC
- 2022: From Homelessness to a Home (H2H) program evaluation for Victoria Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (DFFH) *; Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute Fund Scheme
- 2022: Green + Social Calculator - Carbon and Energy Extension *; Community Housing Industry Association
- 2022: The Australian Rental Monitor: A Data Infrastructure *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2022: The role of outcomes-based frameworks in policy innovation in social housing provision *; Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
- 2022: Together Home program (THP) evaluation for NSW Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) *; Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute Fund Scheme
- 2021: Facilitating Institutional Investment in Social and Affordable Housing *; Community Housing Industry Association
- 2021: HAA ? Economic Study Research Partner *; SGS Economics and Planning Pty Ltd - Partnership Funds
- 2021: Infrastructure Australia Stage 1 Submission drafting *; Community Housing Industry Association
- 2021: Victorian Circular Activator (VCA) *; Sustainability Victoria
- 2020: Aboriginal Private Rental Access Project *; Consumer Policy Research Centre - Research Pathways Program
- 2020: Estimating the population at risk of homelessness in small areas, 2016 *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2020: Filtering as a source of low-income housing in Australia: conceptualisation and testing *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2020: Social and Affordable Housing 'How to' Illustrator *; Community Housing Industry Association
- 2020: Transform *; University of Waterloo, Canada
- 2019: Agglomeration effects and housing market dynamics *; Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute Fund Scheme
- 2019: An Australian Rental Housing Conditions Data Infrastructure *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2019: Designing Ecologically Just Cities by Effectively Enhancing Green Infrastructure's Multifunctionality - Top Up AHURI Scholarship: Student Melissa Pineda Pinto *; AHURI Postgraduate Research Scholarship Top-Up
- 2019: Evaluation and learning in public housing urban renewal *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2019: Inquiry into population growth, migration and agglomeration *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2019: Social Housing as Social Infrastructure *; Community Housing Industry Association
- 2018: Changes in the supply of affordable rental housin in Australian cities, 2011-2016 *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2018: Desktop analysis and conceptual development of a new National Rental Affordability Scheme *; NSW Federation of Housing Associations (trading as Community Housing Industry Association NSW)
- 2018: Renewable Energy Retrofitting and Energy Poverty in Low-income households *; United Housing
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display