Associate Professor Andi Nygaard
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Centre for Urban Transitions
- EW112 Hawthorn campus
Associate Professor Christian (Andi) Nygaard is a social economists and Research Theme Leader for New Ways of Urban Living. He has previously held research and teaching positions in the United Kingdom and Australia, most recently as a Co-Director of the International Centre for Housing and Urban Economics at the University of Reading, UK (2014-2017) where he also developed a transnational education programme in China.
His primary research interests are in the processes of urban change with focus on long-term neighbourhood dynamics; housing market efficiency and affordability; international migrants in housing, neighbourhoods and labour markets; political-economy and institutional drivers of governance adaptations in the provision of social housing, transition dynamics and industrial policy making in resource rich countries. These reserach areas are connected by the economic processes and social behaviours, such as persistence and path dependence; property rights and institutions; and, spatial social structures and social interactions, that inhibit and enable change.
Andi is currently leading research projects funded by the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute and the Community Housing Industry Association in Australia. He has previously led and participated in a number research projects for local authorities in the South East of England, the 'European Integration Fund', 'South East Strategic Partnership for Migration' (UK), 'Department of Communities and Local Government' (UK); and provided policy advice on local economic development and migration to South East authorities (UK).
Since January 2019 Andi has been the Economics and Econometrics editor for Housing Studies, the leading forum for theoretical and analytical developments in the field of housing research. He is a Research Fellow of the 'Centre for Euro-Asian Studies' (UK); and a committee member of the Royal Statistical Society’s 'Official Statistics Section' and 'Discussion Meeting Committee'. He is a former trustee (2014-2017) and Chair or Trustees (2016-2017) for the Reading Refugee Support Group (UK); and regularly hosted 'Thames Valley Strategic Partnership for Migration'.
Housing and Urban Studies
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Housing Markets, Development, Management - 120503
- Urban And Regional Economics - 140218
- Economics Not Elsewhere Classified - 149999
Also published as: Nygaard, Andi; Nygaard, A.; Nygaard, Christian-Ander; Nygaard, C.; Nygaard, C. A.; Nygaard, Christian; Nygaard, Christian A.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2021: Facilitating Institutional Investment in Social and Affordable Housing *; Community Housing Industry Association
- 2020: Estimating the population at risk of homelessness in small areas, 2016 *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2020: Filtering as a source of low-income housing in Australia: conceptualisation and testing *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2020: Social and Affordable Housing 'How to' Illustrator *; Community Housing Industry Association
- 2019: Agglomeration effects and housing market dynamics *; Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute Fund Scheme
- 2019: An Australian Rental Housing Conditions Data Infrastructure *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2019: Designing Ecologically Just Cities by Effectively Enhancing Green Infrastructure's Multifunctionality - Top Up AHURI Scholarship: Student Melissa Pineda Pinto *; AHURI Postgraduate Research Scholarship Top-Up
- 2019: Evaluation and learning in public housing urban renewal *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2019: Social Housing as Social Infrastructure *; Community Housing Industry Association
- 2018: Changes in the supply of affordable rental housin in Australian cities, 2011-2016 *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2018: Desktop analysis and conceptual development of a new National Rental Affordability Scheme *; NSW Federation of Housing Associations (trading as Community Housing Industry Association NSW)
- 2018: Innovation, service need and service intergration for aged and homeless men in Hobart *; Hobart City Mission
- 2018: Renewable Energy Retrofitting and Energy Poverty in Low-income households *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display