Professor Alan Lau
Professor Alan Kin-tak Lau was appointed in 2016 and currently holds the position of Pro Vice-Chancellor (International and Digital Research). He is responsible for supporting and enhancing Swinburne’s global ranking profile while also strengthening its research performance by linking the University with high quality industrial partners to develop joint research programs and centres. He is also required to oversee University’s digital research activities and key research initiatives.
Professor Lau’s expertise is in the areas of aviation, advanced materials and manufacturing, and product design and development. In 2008, he was also appointed as World Class University Chair Professor of Chonbuk National University under the support from the Ministry of Education, Korea. In 2013, he was elected International Vice President of The Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) for the term of 6 years. In 2014, he was appointed Alex Wong/Gigi Wong Endowed Professor in Product Design Engineering. Currently, He is Fellow of European Academy of Sciences and European Academy of Sciences and Arts. Professor Lau is an Independent Non-Executive Director of the King’s Flair International (Holdings) Limited, a Director of Oceania Cybersecuirty Centre Company Limited and a Director of Stawell Underground Physics Company.
Professor Lau is a Fellow of Institution of Engineers, Australia, Royal Aeronautical Society, Institution of Materials, Mining and Mineral, Institute of Engineering Designers, Hong Kong Institution of Engineers and Institution of Mechanical Engineers. He has chaired over 20 international conferences in the areas of composite materials, natural fibre and product design platform since 2010.
In the past 20 years, Professor Lau has received numerous international and national teaching and research awards. His published articles have been cited frequently, which can be found in the google scholar website shown as below. Some of his research outcomes have been adopted by the industry for the benefit of the mankind. He was named Australian Research Theme Leader in “Composite Materials” in 2019.
Google Scholar citations: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=JK_XY6YAAAAJ&hl=en
Wikipedia’s page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Kin-Tak_Lau
Aviation Performance Limitations; Materials Science; Construction Materials; Product Innovation Design; Materials Characterisation; Nanostructured Materials
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Mechanical Engineering - 401700
- Aerospace Engineering - 400100
- Materials Engineering - 401600
- 2020, International, VEBLEO Best Scientist Award, International Science, Engineering and Technology Conference & Webinars.
- 2016, International, Fellow of European Academy of Sciences and Arts, European Academy of Sciences and Arts
- 2014, International, Award for Outstanding Contribution to Education, Global Learntech Congress
- 2013, National, UGC Teaching Excellence Award, The Hong Kong University Grant Council
- 2012, International, Research Excellence Award in Fundamental Research for Smart Composites, The 3rd International Conference on Smart Materials and nano-technology Engineering
- 2011, International, The Most Cited Paper Award (in Composites Part B: Engineering), Elsevier
- 2011, International, The 1st Technology Award in Heilongjiang Province, China, Heilongjiang Science and Technology Comissiom
- 2009, International, Ernest L. Boyer International Award for Teaching Excellence, The 20th International Conference on College Teaching, Learning and Technology, USA.
- 2007, International, Most Cited Paper 2003-2007 Award, Elsevier (in Chemical Physics Letters)
- 2007, International, Fellow of European Academy of Sciences, European Academy of Sciences
- 2006, International, Award for Outstanding Research (Nanocomposites for Space Applications), The 14th International Conference on Composite Engineerng, USA.
- 2004, National, Young Engineer of the Year Award, The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
- 2002, National, Young Scientist Award, The Institute of Science
- 2000, International, The Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship Award, The Sir Youde Memorial Fund
Also published as: Lau, Alan; Lau, A.; Lau, Alan K-T; Lau, Alan K. T.; Lau, Alan Kin Tak; Lau, Alan Kin-Tak; Lau, K. T.; Lau, Kin Tak; Lau, Kin-Tak
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2021: Aerostructures Innovation Research Hub (AIR Hub) *; VIC Department of Education and Training
- 2021: Blast and Shock Modelling Phase 3 *; DMTC
- 2021: GrapheneX - Service Agreement *; GrapheneX Pty Ltd
- 2021: Scalable Graphene Enabled Smart Composites *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2020: Production and Tests of Nanofiber Composites *; King's Flair International Holdings Limited
- 2019: Co-construction of Electronic Arc Extinguishing Research and Development Project *; Semitri Pty Ltd
- 2019: Visiting Fellowships Scheme 2019 - Professor Jang-Kyo Kim *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
- 2017: Establishing a JRC to Australia-Korea collaboration on Frontier Carbon-based Materials *; DFAT Australia Korea Foundation
- 2017: Hybrid Composite Materials and Structures *; DMTC
- 2016: 2016 Visiting Fellowships Scheme- Professor Hwa Yaw TAM *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display