Professor Alan Lau
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Engineering
- Swinburne Research
- Department of Aviation
- Hawthorn campus
Professor Alan Kin-tak Lau is Swinburne’s Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research Performance and Development). His research focuses on materials science, particularly bio-composites, smart composites and nano-composites. He holds a PhD from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and degrees in aerospace engineering from RMIT University.
Since 2014 Professor Lau has served as International Vice-President of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers – the first scholar elected to the role outside the UK. He is a fellow with the Royal Aeronautical Society, the Institution of Materials, Minerals and Mining, the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, Engineers Australia, the Institution of Engineering Designers and the European Academy of Sciences and Arts. Professor Lau has also been an Independent Non-executive Director of King’s s Flair International (Holdings) Limited (Stock Code 6822) since 2015.
With an outstanding research record that includes six books and over 250 articles, Professor Lau has received numerous awards including the Young Scientist Award (2002), Young Engineer of the Year Award (2004), the Faculty Award for Research and Scholarly Activities (2005), the Award for Outstanding Research in Nanocomposites for Space Applications (2006), Most Cited Paper Award – Chemical Physics Letter (2003-2007), the Ernest L Boyer International Award for Excellence in Teaching (2009) and Outstanding Contribution in Education (2014). He has also chaired international conferences on materials science and engineering in Hong Kong, Australia, China and Korea. In 2019, he was ranked by “The Australian” in 2019 as a national research field leader in “Composite Materials”.
Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Kin-Tak_Lau
Google Citation: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=JK_XY6YAAAAJ
My Personal Homepage: http://www.alanktlau.net/
Nanomaterials; Nanostructured Materials; Construction Materials; Nanostructured Materials
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Mechanical Engineering - 091300
- Aerospace Engineering - 090100
- Materials Engineering - 091200
- 2016, International, Fellow of European Academy of Sciences and Arts, European Academy of Sciences and Arts
- 2014, International, Award for Outstanding Contribution to Education, Global Learntech Congress
- 2013, National, UGC Teaching Excellence Award, The Hong Kong University Grant Council
- 2012, International, Research Excellence Award in Fundamental Research for Smart Composites, The 3rd International Conference on Smart Materials and nano-technology Engineering
- 2011, International, The Most Cited Paper Award (in Composites Part B: Engineering), Elsevier
- 2011, International, The 1st Technology Award in Heilongjiang Province, China, Heilongjiang Science and Technology Comissiom
- 2009, International, Ernest L. Boyer International Award for Teaching Excellence, The 20th International Conference on College Teaching, Learning and Technology, USA.
- 2007, International, Most Cited Paper 2003-2007 Award, Elsevier (in Chemical Physics Letters)
- 2007, International, Fellow of European Academy of Sciences, European Academy of Sciences
- 2006, International, Award for Outstanding Research (Nanocomposites for Space Applications), The 14th International Conference on Composite Engineerng, USA.
- 2004, National, Young Engineer of the Year Award, The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
- 2002, National, Young Scientist Award, The Institute of Science
- 2000, International, The Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship Award, The Sir Youde Memorial Fund
Also published as: Lau, Alan; Lau, A.; Lau, Alan K-T; Lau, Alan K. T.; Lau, Alan Kin Tak; Lau, Alan Kin-Tak; Lau, K. T.; Lau, Kin Tak; Lau, Kin-Tak
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2019: Co-construction of Electronic Arc Extinguishing Research and Development Project *; Semitri Pty Ltd
- 2019: Visiting Fellowships Scheme 2019 -Professor Jang-Kyo Kim *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
- 2017: Establishing a JRC to Australia-Korea collaboration on Frontier Carbon-based Materials *; DFAT Australia Korea Foundation
- 2017: Hybrid Composite Materials and Structures *; DMTC
- 2016: 2016 Visiting Fellowships Scheme-Professor Hwa Yaw TAM *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display