Associate Professor Tianyi Ma
Right after he received his PhD, Dr. Ma worked as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow during 2013-2014 in the School of Chemical Engineering in the University of Adelaide. He was awarded ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) in 2015 and moved to University of Newcastle in 2017. He joined Swinburne in 2021, and is now leading an independent research team focusing on functional materials for energy and environment related applications.
He has been working on the rational design, synthesis and characterization of nanostructured materials composed of a large variety of components from carbons, metals, metal oxides, organic polymers, metal-organic frameworks to their corresponding composites. He especially aims at the energy and environment related applications of these nanostructured materials including catalysis, adsorption&separation, and energy conversion&storage (battery, supercapacitor). He detailedly investigates several photocatalytic and electrocatalytic reactions including hydrogen evolution reaction, carbon dioxide reduction reaction, oxygen evolution reaction, oxygen reduction reaction, and nitrogen reduction reaction, as well as their practical applications in realistic energy devices.
He has been taking up the major leading role in managing over $3m dollars grant from ARC, CSIRO, CSC and industry. Since 2008, he has published more than 200 refereed journal articles including 107 as the first or corresponding author, 87 with an impact factor > 10, 35 with an impact factor > 20, 27 ranked as ESI Top 1% or Top 0.1% Highly Cited Papers, 12 invited reviews, and 12 issued patents. The total citation is over 15,000 times, with an H-index of 54. As a guest editor, he has organized to publish 7 refereed journal issues.
Nanofabrication; Nanomaterials; Photocatalysis; Surface Engineering; Electric vehicle - Battery, Electric Power train, autonomous control and ITS Networked Robotics
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Honours topics and outlines
- 2020, International, Global Peer Review Award, Clarivate
- 2020, International, ESI Highly Cited Researchers, Clarivate
- 2019, International, Global Peer Review Award, Clarivate
- 2019, Other, Faculty Research Excellence Award, University of Newcastle
- 2019, International, Emerging Investigators , Royal Society of Chemistry
- 2018, International, Global Peer Review Award, Clarivate
- 2015, National, Discovery Early Career Researcher Award, ARC
- 2012, Other, TANG Auchin Chemistry Award, Jilin University
- 2020 (current): Editor, Materials Reports: Energy, Select Country/Region
- 2020 (current): Editor, Rare Metals, Select Country/Region
- 2020 (current): Associate Editor, Journal of Electronic Materials, Select Country/Region
- 2020 - 2020: Editor, Nano Materials Science, Select Country/Region
- 2019 (current): Board Member, Chinese Chemical Letters, Select Country/Region
- 2019 - 2020: Editor, Chemistry – An Asian Journal, Select Country/Region
- 2018 (current): Board Member, American Journal of Environmental Sciences, Select Country/Region
- 2017 - 2019: Editor, Catalysts, Select Country/Region
- 2015 - 2019: Board Member, Materials Horizons, Select Country/Region
- 2013 - 2016: Editor, International Journal of Photoenergy, Select Country/Region
- 2019 (current): Associate Editor, Frontiers in Chemistry, Select Country/Region
- 2020 (current): Editor, eScience, Select Country/Region
- 2020 (current): Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry, United Kingdom
Also published as: Ma, Tianyi; Ma, T.; Ma, Tian Yi; Ma, Tian-Yi
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.