Swinburne ranks in top 350 of Academic Ranking of World Universities
Tuesday 15 August 2017
- Swinburne jumps almost 100 places in 2017 ARWU rankings
- Now ranked in the top 301-400 band at 337
- This result places Swinburne in the top three per cent of universities in the world
Swinburne has ranked in the top 301-400 of the world’s best universities, according to the highly-regarded Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
Jumping almost 100 places in 2017 to 337, Swinburne is now positioned in the top three per cent of universities in the world.
This year, Swinburne was also ranked 61 in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings for universities under 50 years old as well as 60 in the inaugural Times Higher Education Asia-Pacific University Rankings.
For the third year running, Swinburne has ranked in the top 60 in the QS rankings for the world’s top universities under the age of 50.
“It is wonderful to see Swinburne achieve such a notable improvement in the ARWU rankings”, says Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Development), Professor Aleksandar Subic.
“This exceptional result shows the systematic growth in excellence and reputation of our world-class research as the university celebrates its twenty-fifth year of university education in 2017. Our research has been recognised internationally as among the best in the world, which is a deserving recognition of the great work our researchers are doing.”
Swinburne’s world-leading and internationally recognised research is reflected in recent initiatives which include:
- A new nano-material which mimics the antibacterial properties of insect wings
- New generation graphene technology for energy storage
- An intelligent control system for smart grid applications
- New imaging techniques for investigation of inner workings of a cell
- Discovery of a massive inactive galaxy from a time when the Universe was only 1.65 billion years old
These rankings confirm that despite its young age, Swinburne is a university that is recognised globally as a world-class university with exceptional research, industry research engagement, and international academic reputation.