Join fellow future leaders and work with Pollinate Energy on real-world engineering projects in India that provide life-changing outcomes to those most in need.
- Locations: India
- Dates: 6 week winter unit from 4 January – 14 February 2021 including approximately 26 days in India
- Eligible students: Undergraduate
- Cost: A$3,100 (approx.)
- Application submission: Applications will be assessed with offers made on a rolling basis until places are filled
- Application close date: 20 August 2020
- Unit code: ENG31005 Engineering Practice Field Project
Study tour overview
Designed to foster tomorrow’s leaders, Pollinate Energy’s Student Fellowship programs bring together young people from all backgrounds who have a passion for improving lives through social business models and environmentally sustainable solutions. The Pollinate Fellowship program is embedded in a for-credit-unit that includes approximately 26 days in India. India is a dynamic country with vibrant cultures, incredible food and warm-hearted people. While in-country you will work through structured learning workshops while simultaneously working on real world projects alongside Pollinate’s team in India to support their innovative work. Pollinate Energy work with people living in India’s urban slums to provide a distribution network that provides life-changing products to the people that need them most. See Pollinate’s website for more information.
- hands on workshops to build your skills and confidence for working in India with Pollinate’s team
- demonstrates of Pollinate’s solar technology products
- community visits with Pollinate’s team in India
- time to work on your group projects alongside Pollinate’s team in India
- language lessons to assist in communicating with people in India
- cultural activities to experience India’s rich and diverse culture.
- free time to explore the region and recharge
- Build knowledge, skills and experience while working in a dynamic social enterprise
- Explore the role of engineering in an international context while working on real-world projects in collaboration with our in-country partner Pollinate Energy
- Gain experience working cross-culturally by working alongside Pollinate’s India team
- Challenge and improve your cross-cultural communication skills and problem solving abilities
- Build an understanding of effective development principles including two-way knowledge sharing, strength based approaches and capacity building
- Experience the dynamic nature of Indian culture
- Build strong friendships with your fellow students, the Pollinate team and people in India
- Week 1 – Classes on campus in Hawthorn to prepare for the field intensive
- Weeks 2, 3 and 4 – Field intensive in India
- Week 6 – Classes on campus in Hawthorn to finalise project work and assessment.
Eligibility and selection criteria
Students must be enrolled in ENG31005 to participate in the overseas field trip. Entry into the unit is by application only. Students must have 150 credit points by the commencement of the unit to be eligible for entry. This means that while it is a third year elective, students may undertake their elective in their second year, providing they have 150 credit points before the unit commences.
This elective is housed within engineering but can be undertaken by students from any degree. Offers to participate in the program will be made on a rolling basis. Apply early so that you don’t miss out on the experience. Preference will be given to people who demonstrate a passion for creating social impact and who can work well in teams.