Mobile Storytelling in Sarawak
Add to your portfolio as you create digital stories and content as you explore the culture and community of Sarawak.
- Destination/s: Sarawak, Malaysia
- Dates: 5 – 19 June, 2023
- Cost: A$2,600 + airfares
- Funding available: A$3,000 NCP Mobility Grants and OS HELP Loans available for eligible students
- Eligible students: Undergraduate
- Application deadline: 31 March, 2023
- Register your interest
Study tour overview
The Mobile Storytelling Study Tour will be a mobile filmmaking project in Sarawak, Malaysia. Working with local project partners such as the Brooke Museum Kuching we will produce a series of docos (documentaries), online or/and digital stories for various platforms. We will work as a team on a professional project in the picturesque state of Sarawak in Malaysia. Excursions will include trips in the city Kuching, National Parks and rural locations. We will collaborate with local partners and in teams you can choose to produce a story around street art, coffee and spice heritage, textiles, and indigenous art and architecture, culture or a topic of your choice.
You will work as part of a production crew and gain international work experience. Your mobile story will give you an additional project for your portfolio and you learn to work as a team to produce content in an international context. In two weeks in Malaysia we will scout locations, conduct interviews, edit the stories and screen the documentary film or digital story to local audiences.
As part of the study tour, we are planning joint activities to National Parks, villages and city tours.
Highlights / tentative itinerary
A sample of the itinerary is below:
- 4th June: Arrive by this date in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
- 5th June: Team briefing at Swinburne University Sarawak
- 6th - 8th June: Ideation, location scouting and project meetings
- 9th - 13th June: production on location and interviews
- 14th - 16th June: editing and drafting project for project partners.
- 17th - 18th June: Cultural activities
- 19th June: Presentation & showcase with local partners
- 20th June: Departure day
Which unit/s can this program be taken for as credit?
Can this unit be taken as an elective by students in any Swinburne degree?
Eligibility and selection criteria
By selection via Tour Leaders with approval from Course Director. Application will include CV, portfolio and covering letter outlining the contribution the student would make.
Program cost includes:
- Welcome and farewell dinner
- Ground transport
Additional expenses to consider (not included in program cost):
- International airfares
- Most meals
- Academic unit Fees
*Program cost is approximate at the time of being listed online.
The following types of funding are available to help eligible students with the costs towards this program:
- OS Help Loan of up to $8,817 (as at 2023)
- Limited New Colombo Plan scholarships valued at $3,000 AUD
This Study Tour is closely linked to the Arts, Education and Heritage in Sarawak Study Tour. The two programs will collaborate together on some project work and may travel together for cultural visits and other parts of the program.
Please insert link to the Arts, Education and Heritage study tour page, once this page has been created
Information sessions will be running in March. Please register your interest to find out more.
Still not sure?
For further details on this program please contact:
+61 9214 6194
Interested in studying abroad?
Our friendly and well-travelled Swinburne Abroad team can help answer any questions about our overseas study programs.