Troubleshoot database access
Find answers to common problems with logging into library databases.
Log in not working?
If you're having trouble logging in, you might need your password reset:
Blackboard link not working?
There are a few things you can try:
- Copy the link and open it in a new window outside Blackboard
- Off campus links require a proxy. Check that the link has the following prefix: http://ezproxy.lib.swin.edu.au/login?url=
- Copy the title of the article and search for it through the library search
- Contact your lecturer and ask them to fix the link.
- For other Blackboard problems, such as disappearing units, call the Blackboard help desk 9214 5295
Link working on campus but not off campus?
Links require a proxy prefix to work off campus.
Do you have cookies disabled?
Many databases require cookies and Java to be enabled in your web browser. If they have not been enabled the database may not work at all, or may not work correctly.
You can enable cookies via your browser privacy settings.
Have you cleared your cache and cookies?
Clearing your cache and cookies can help resolve many browser functionality issues.
- Cookies are files that store information on your site preferences. Clearing cookies can fix issues related to sign in.
- The cache stores data from websites you visit so webpages will load faster. Clearing your cache can resolve issues related to pages not loading or displaying old page content.
For instructions see your browser support website (external page).
Are you unable to view PDFs?
All scanned articles and many database articles are only available in PDF (Portable Document Format). To view PDF files open them in your browser or download Adobe Reader
Is the full text not available?
Not all of our databases provide full text for every journal. If the full text is provided by another database you may be able to access it by selecting the full text button and choosing from the list of databases that appears.
Are you using a workplace or ISP firewall?
Most workplace networks use firewalls, proxy servers and other security measures that may affect database access.
If you are blocked by a workplace or network firewall you will need to contact your network provider.
We cannot guarantee access from all remote computers due to variations in configuration and personal or network security software. However, we will do whatever we can to help you!