Skip to Content

Leave of absence application

When should I use this form?

If you wish to seek approval for a period of absence from study and you’re unable to complete the application via My Enrolment.

Please note: All Open Universities Australia (OUA) students who are either on a Commonwealth Support Place (CSP) or Full Fee Paying (FFP) must apply through the OUA website

Important: Applications made after Census date for your course may incur financial liability and academic penalty. Please consider the penalties before submitting an application, as approved application outcomes are final.

International students: If you hold an international student visa, you must remain enrolled and must attend classes until you receive confirmation that your Leave of Absence has been granted.

Vocational education students: Please check the course intake details on Course Search.

Research students: You must submit the research leave of absence form (login required). 

ELICOS students: If you do not hold a current IELTS test and the leave of absence extends beyond four teaching periods (more than 20 weeks), you will be required to undertake a Versant test to verify that re-enrolment is at the appropriate level.

Get more information on the rules and criteria around taking time off from study.

Fields marked with Mandatory are mandatory

Personal details


Course Details

Leave of Absence period details

Leave of Absence will only be granted for periods of up to one calendar year.

Please indicate the teaching period(s) the Leave of Absence will apply to.


Supporting documents

You can attach up to 6 documents to support your application. Accepted document formats are: GIF, JPG, DOC, DOCX, PDF. Maximum document size is 2MB.


Privacy Statement and Disclaimer

Swinburne University of Technology collects, uses and destroys personal information in accordance with our Privacy Policy.