Student exchange program

For students enrolled at one of our partner universities.


One semester or two semesters. You can begin your studies in either Semester 1 (March–June) or Semester 2 (August–November).

Course load

Four units (subjects) per semester.


  • currently enrolled at one of our partner universities
  • completed a year of university study
  • US students need a GPA of 2.6 or higher
  • Mexican students need a minimum GPA of 70%
  • if you choose design or film and television units you are required to submit a portfolio with your application showcasing work of an appropriate standard
  • Certified English proficiency (for students enrolled at an institution teaching in languages other than English). Refer to our international student application pages for the level of English ability required: English language tests and alternative English language entry.

Tuition fees

You will pay your regular tuition fees (if applicable) to your home university. There are no tuition payments required to Swinburne.

Other costs

You will need to meet your own travel expenses, accommodation charges,  living expenses and any additional spending money.

Travel costs

  • return airfare to Melbourne, Australia
  • travel insurance
  • visa (where applicable)
  • Australian health insurance
    Health insurance is mandatory for all international students studying in Australia. Some countries have a reciprocal arrangement with the Australian government. If your country of residence is not one of these, Swinburne can arrange appropriate insurance for you. This will be explained in your letter of offer.
  • Extra excursions and social activities. Swinburne Student Life offers many sporting and cultural clubs as well as volunteer opportunities. They also organise low-cost day and weekend trips to tourist places of interest.


Cost will depend on your choice. There are on-campus and off-campus options, including homestay, shared rentals, individual rentals, bed and breakfasts, hotels and serviced apartments.

Take a look at our student accommodation pages to get an idea of costs and a downloadable guide about finding accommodation in Melbourne. You will also find contact details for Swinburne’s student accommodation adviser.

Living expenses

You will need to pay your own living expenses including food, bills, transport, books and stationery. See our estimated costs for living in Melbourne.