Planning your finances is an important part of any overseas study program. Here you will find information on fee help and scholarship options available to you as a Swinburne student.
For Semester Abroad programs at one of our partner universities, you will not need to pay international tuition fees (as you will continue to pay your tuition fees to Swinburne).
However, for all programs, you will need to consider any applicable program fees, airfares, insurance, accommodation, living expenses and visa costs. Living and travel costs will vary considerably depending on your destination, lifestyle and the current exchange rate in your host destination’s currency.
There are several scholarships and funding opportunities available to help you participate in overseas programs as a Swinburne student.
OS-HELP is available for credit-bearing international experiences, including exchange, study tours and overseas internships and is the most applied for form of funding. This government scheme provides loans for Australian students of up to A$8,149 (as at 2019), depending on your destination and study program.
This loan is added to your HECS debt, which you do not have to repay until your income reaches the minimum repayment threshold. To be eligible for the OS HELP Loan you must meet the minimum eligibility criteria below:
- have been selected by your provider to receive an OS HELP loan;
- be an Australian citizen or a permanent humanitarian visa holder or a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets the residency requirements;
- have not received an OS HELP loan on more than one other occasion;
- be enrolled with an Australian provider in a Commonwealth supported place and have completed one equivalent full-time student loan (EFTSL) - usually one year of full-time study;
- be studying full-time overseas and this study will count towards the course requirements for the Australian course you are enrolled in;
- have at least 0.125 EFTSL of your course left to complete once you have finished your overseas study - usually one unit of study;
- have a valid tax file number (TFN) at the time of applying
- have submitted an OS-HELP debt confirmation form to your provider; and have read the OS-HELP Statement of terms and conditions.
For more information on OS-HELP watch this short introductory video or read the OS-HELP and overseas study booklet. If you’re eligible, you will be given more information from the Swinburne Abroad team on how to apply as your application progresses.
Vice Chancellor's Excellence Scholarship
Recipients of this scholarship are eligible to receive a one-off payment of A$2,000 towards an international study experience.
For more information, see the Vice Chancellor's Excellence Scholarship.
The New Colombo Plan Scholarship
The New Colombo Plan Scholarship is a prestigious Australian Government program that provides opportunities for Australian undergraduate students to undertake a semester of study or an internship or mentorship in participating Indo-Pacific locations.
For more information, see the New Colombo Plan Scholarship page.
Other fee help options and scholarships include:
If you currently receive Austudy or Youth Allowance, you may still be eligible to continue receiving these benefits while on exchange.
You will need to provide Centrelink with evidence that you will be studying full time in an approved student exchange program that will be credited to your Swinburne degree.
Swinburne Abroad can provide you with a letter to meet Centrelink requirements before you depart.
Swinburne Abroad offers a number of scholarships each semester which are awarded based on merit and ambassadorship. Scholarship applications for Semester 1, 2020 are now open.
- Australian Government Endeavour Cheung Kong Scholarship – Study in Hong Kong SAR: A$5,000 scholarships available
- Australian Government New Colombo Plan Scholarship - Study in Sarawak, Malaysia (FSET only): A$5,000 scholarships available
Swinburne Abroad ‘Off the Beaten Track’ Scholarship
- 15 x A$1,000 scholarships available.
Available for eligible students participating in semester exchange to destinations that are not Sarawak, Japan, UK, Ireland, USA or Canada.
Swinburne Abroad Faculty Ambassador Scholarship
- 9 x A$1,000 scholarships available.
Semester Abroad at Swinburne Sarawak, Malaysia
- 6 x A$1,000 available
How to apply for a Swinburne Abroad scholarship
- Semester abroad scholarship application: complete the scholarship application form. Applications close on Saturday 30 November, 2019 at 11.59pm
- Semester abroad Sarawak scholarship application: complete the scholarship application form. Applications for Swinburne Abroad Scholarships for Sarawak close on Saturday 30 November 2019 at 11:59pm.
Overseas Internship scholarships are available for students undertaking an internship over Summer 2019/2020.
Note: you must have submitted an application for an internship program before applying for a scholarship.
Swinburne Abroad Overseas Internship Scholarships
- 20 x A$1,000 Ambassadorship Scholarships (all programs eligible)
- 8 x A$1,000 Engineering China Scholarships
- 5 x A$1,000 Architecture and Design Malaysia Scholarships
- 5 x A$1,000 Health Science Vietnam Scholarships
- 2 x A$1,000 Colombia Scholarships
Australian Government Overseas Internship Scholarships
- A$3,000 New Colombo Plan Grants available for Global Education Practicum
- A$3,000 New Colombo Plan Grants available for Vietnam ICT Internships
Applications for Australian Government grants will be completed as part of the application process for these programs. Students will be instructed on how to do this.
How to apply for an Overseas Internship Scholarship
Please complete the Overseas Internship Scholarship Application form.
Applications close on Sunday 22 September 2019 at 11:59pm.
Note: Students can only receive a maximum of 1 scholarship per program (Swinburne Abroad or Government).
Butex International Scholarships, UK
This scholarship is open to all exchange students going to select UK partner institutions. To be eligible you must have been offered an exchange place at a BUTEX-affiliated UK university.
The value of each scholarship is GBP£500 and will be paid to you once you have arrived and registered at your host university.
Check with the consulate or embassy of your proposed host country to explore other scholarships that may be available.
Eligible students studying Aviation or Aviation Management can apply for this scholarship to receive A$5,000 towards an Exchange semester abroad at selected partner universities.
For more information see the Piers Fowler Exchange Scholarship.
Eligible students who have reached certain levels of language proficiency can apply for this scholarship to receive funds towards an approved Exchange semester abroad.
For more information see the Walter Mangold Trust Fund page.
Eligible students enrolled in Italian studies can apply for this scholarship to receive A$2,000 towards an Exchange semester abroad at selected partner universities.
For more information see the Charles D’Aprano Memorial Scholarship.
The New Colombo Plan Mobility Program provides funding to Australian universities and consortia to support Australian undergraduate students to participate in semester-based or short-term study, internships, mentorships, practicums and research in 40 host locations across the Indo-Pacific region.
The Mobility Program is open to Australian university undergraduates aged 18–28, with capacity to include some students over 28.
Advantages of the program
- Be supported by the Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade to give you access to high level networks and open doors to future opportunities.
- Study in the world’s fastest growing region leading to future career opportunities.
To be eligible for a short-term mobility grant, please see main eligibility criteria below:
- currently studying a bachelor or bachelor (Honours) program onshore
- an Australian citizen
- cannot have held dual citizenship or residency for the project destination
New Colombo Plan Mobility Grants are awarded at the discretion of Swinburne University of Technology.
You will be automatically considered for NCP funding when you apply for an eligible short term or exchange program. You will receive notification that you've been awarded grant funding shortly after applications close.
Learn more about New Colombo Plan Mobility Grants on the DFAT website.