An affordable way for international students to experience Australian culture and lifestyle up close.
A homestay is an arrangement where students live with a local family in their private home.
Note: International students under 18 years of age must live in either a homestay, on-campus accommodation or with a relative approved by the Department of Home Affairs.
Homestay students can be any age, but if you’re under 18 your booking process will be more detailed. You need to stay in a homestay for a minimum of 28 days.
Our partner, Australian Homestay Network (AHN), will match you with an appropriate homestay host. You will meet the host and see the house for the first time when you move in.
All traditional homestay arrangements include:
- a furnished private room in a caring environment (with desk, chair and study lamp)
- access to internet
- bathroom and laundry facilities
- household utilities (electricity, gas, etc.)
- two meals per day Monday - Friday and three meals on Saturday and Sunday (students over 18)
- homestay host and student support
- AHN 24/7 professional phone support
- AHN insurance.
Fees, conditions and booking
In addition to the ongoing weekly fee, there is a one-time placement fee of $290 for all traditional homestays.
Note: You may be eligible for other homestay options. View the AHN website for alternative arrangements.