SA-HELP loan

How to apply

You can apply for a SA HELP loan online, after you have accepted your offer of a Commonwealth Supported Place or Full Fee-Paying Place at Swinburne. 

Note: If you are not paying student amendment fees in full upfront, you must apply for a SA HELP loan by the census date.

To apply online:

  1. log in to My Financials using your SIMS username (Student ID) and password
  2. choose ‘HELP Forms’ in the left-hand navigation
  3. choose ‘Add New’ to view the list of forms available
  4. choose the form you want then select ‘Complete Form’
  5. check your details are correct (e.g. your date of birth must be entered in dd/mm/yyyy format)
  6. enter your Australian Tax File Number (TFN). If you are eligible to defer your fees to a HECS-HELP loan you must submit a valid TFN prior to the census date of the teaching period. If you have missing information you will be required to pay your fees upfront for that teaching period.
  7. choose ‘Submit’.

Tax File Number (TFN) verification

When we submit your HELP loan data to the government, your TFN is verified against Australian Taxation Office data. Your TFN must be verified before your census date for you to be eligible to receive the loan.

To ensure your TFN can be verified, check that your Swinburne personal details match what you have supplied to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). If your details do not match, you won’t be eligible for a HELP loan and you’ll be required to pay your fees upfront.

The personal details that must match are:

  • TFN
  • date of birth
  • given name, other given name(s) and family name
  • permanent address details.

To ensure your records match after completing the HELP loan application, please check your Swinburne personal details and the ATO’s record via their online service. 

Swinburne personal details:

  • Log in to My details, using your SIMS username (Student ID) and password, to check your personal details
  • To change your permanent details such as your name, date of birth, permanent address etc., you have to complete the Amendment to Personal Details form and submit it to studentHQ.  

ATO personal details:

  • If you already have a myGov account, you can confirm and update your Tax File Number details directly online at
  • If you don’t have a myGov account, you can create one by clicking the ‘Create an account’ button at
  • Once you are logged into your myGov account, go to Australian Taxation Office and select the My Details tab
  • If you have difficulties using the ATO’s online services, please contact the ATO enquiries line on 13 28 61.

If your TFN cannot be verified after you submit your HELP loan details to the Government, we will alert you via email.

Managing your application

If you need to change, cancel or view the status of your SA-HELP loan application: 

  1. log in to My Financials using your SIMS username (Student ID) and password
  2. choose ‘HELP Forms’ in the left-hand navigation.

Any previously submitted SA-HELP loan applications will be displayed, along with the status of your application. 

For more information about applying for a SA-HELP loan see our help guide HELP assistance: How to manage your HELP assistance applications online [PDF 260KB].

student amenities fees[AS1] 

 [AS1]Text to add