Elite Athlete Fund guidelines
The Swinburne Student Life Elite Athlete Fund provides grants of up to $1000 to assist current Swinburne students participating in national sporting championships or international sporting events. If you've qualified for, or have been invited to participate in, one of these events you may be eligible to apply for funding.
The fund's purpose is to assist Swinburne students to maximise their academic and sporting potential. Our goal is to enhance Swinburne’s reputation as a leader in both sporting and academic excellence.
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply, you must be:
- A currently enrolled Swinburne student at the time of the competition
- Affiliated with, or acknowledged by, a state and/or national sporting organisation as recognised by the Australian Sports Commission.
You are ineligible to apply if you are:
- A professional athletes who is paid to compete in your chosen sport
- Not affiliated with, or acknowledged by, a state and/or national sporting organisation as recognised by the Australian Sports Commission.
What activities can be funded?
Funds from a successful grant can go towards:
- Travel costs directly associated with travel to and/or from the athlete’s home state to the place of the sporting competition
- Accommodation costs directly associated with competing at a national or international sporting event.
Costs that the grants cannot cover:
- Costs other than travel or accommodation directly related to competing (for example competition entry fees, per diems, food, uniforms, sporting equipment etc.)
- Travel or accommodation costs associated with participation in training or training camps, even when they occur directly before an eligible event
- Accommodation and/or travel that occurs before or while the application is submitted
- Travel and/or accommodation costs for people accompanying athletes (that is, coaches, partners, parents etc.)
- Travel or accommodation to participate in any Australian University Games Championships.
Athletes competing in state or national events are eligible to apply for up to $500 AUD per year.
Athletes competing in international events are eligible to apply for up to $1000 AUD per year.
How to apply
Athletes must submit their application at least two months prior to the athlete travelling and the event’s commencement
You can apply directly via the Swinburne Student Life portal.
Alternatively, you can email email@example.com to receive an application form.
How will applications be assessed?
Applications are assessed on the following criteria:
- the benefit of the grant to the athlete
- the inclusion of full, detailed costs of travel and accommodation
- the athlete's reasons for wanting to compete at the event and the benefits to the athlete
- the athlete's previous success in their sport.
Applications are assessed by a Swinburne Student Life Elite Athlete Fund panel, comprising:
- Swinburne Student Life Associate Director
- Swinburne Student Life Team Leader – Clubs and Sports
- Swinburne Student Life Clubs and Sports Officer
- Swinburne Student Life Board of Directors Student Representative nominee.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
All decisions made by the panel are final.