Swinburne Student Life
Swinburne Student Life is a fully owned subsidiary (controlled entity) of Swinburne University of Technology. It provides free services and support to students, including:
In mid-2017, Swinburne Student Amenities Association was renamed Swinburne Student Life.
Swinburne Student Amenities Association Limited (ACN 117 060 232) was constituted on 19 June 2006. Read the full SSAA Constitution [PDF 100KB].
Swinburne Student Life is governed by a board made up of four elected student representatives and four Swinburne staff nominated by the Vice-Chancellor. Elections are held each year in September to October and the term of office is two years from 1 January to 31 December.
The Swinburne Student Life Board has the following members:
- Chair (Executive Director): Dr Andrew J Smith, Vice President (Students and Alumni)
- Student directors:
- Undergraduate student: Tahsin AR Bhuiyan
- Postgraduate student: Abdul Rehman Khan
- Vocational education student: position currently vacant
- International student: Abdul Samie
- University directors:
- Professor Sarah Maddison, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Academic Innovation and Change)
- Professor Angela Carbone, Dean (Learning Innovation), Acting Director (STEM Practice and Innovation Academy)
- Carolyn Bendall, Chief Marketing Officer
- Company Seceratry: Emma Lincoln
Swinburne Student Life receives operating funds from student contributions (see how the Student Services and Amenities Fee is calculated).
After annual student consultation, the SSAF is distributed to student support services, Swinburne Student Life and the Swinburne Student Union.
Swinburne Student Life accounts are audited each financial year and submitted to Council.
Swinburne Student Life strives to provide a service to students that excels in meeting our values:
- Diversity: We ensure that our services and activities embrace/include all students, regardless of background, gender, culture/ethnicity, religion, disability, age, geographical location, gender expression or sexual diversity.
- Flexibility: We are responsive to changing needs and facilitate student access to flexible services.
- Engagement: We engage with our community and collaborate to enhance the value that we offer students and the broader University.
- Integrity: We expect honesty and demonstrate the highest ethical standards in all that we do.
- Independence: We provide students with professional independent advice and advocacy.
- Innovation: We explore and test new and different approaches to enhance the student experience.