Communicate to facilitate the empowerment of older people
|Delivery mode||Face-to-face workshop|
Focus on the communication approaches and interpersonal strategies that support client choice, empowerment and rights within an inclusive wellness approach.
- Identify and discuss how services can be delivered in a way that empowers the older person
- Identify key communication approaches, techniques and interpersonal strategies that promote empowerment and develop and maintain trust and goodwill with clients and/or their carers
- Discuss the impact of personal values, perception and beliefs on effective communication
- Define social justice principles and understand the differences between negotiation, advocacy, mediation and conciliation
- Summarise approaches to providing the client and/or their carer with information about available options for meeting their advocacy needs and assist them to identify their preferred option
- Assist the older person to understand their rights and the complaints mechanisms
This course is open to staff and volunteers of CHSP and/or HACC PYP providers in Victoria.
It is suitable for community care workers, direct care workers and social support workers.
This course is suitable for all staff and volunteers who are interested in building or refreshing their skills, knowledge and confidence when communicating with clients and/or carers.
What to bring
Please bring along a notebook and pen to take your own notes. In addition, we’ll supply you with a workbook.
Receive a Victorian Community Care Education and Training Service (VCCETS) Certificate of Attendance upon completion of this course.
The certificate complements any existing qualifications you have working in the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) and the Victorian Home and Community Care Program for Younger People (HACC PYP).
Statement of attainment
If you wish to be issued with a unit of competency statement of attainment, you will need to undertake further assessment. This assessment will cover both knowledge and skill components. You may be required to provide additional information about how you are applying your workshop training in the workplace.
For further details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email your name and location to email@example.com to register your interest in this course.