- 1 Teaching Period
- Recommended 10 hrs each week of study plus placement
Aims and objectives
This unit focuses on the teaching of children in the early to middle years of their schooling with particular emphasis on the physical, psychological and social development of children and adolescents with a view to providing a theoretical foundation for discussions of appropriate teaching methods. The unit covers theories of child development, physical and motor development, catering for individual differences, perceptual development, personality, attachment and attachment behaviour, social competence and identity.
- Identify and plan for literacy and numeracy as general capabilities as outlined within the Australian Curriculum
- Teach in the areas of the primary curriculum for which they have the necessary academic preparation and reflect critically on their performance in the role of a teacher.
- Assess and record student learning, primarily for providing appropriate feedback to students on their progress and how to improve performance, but also for reporting to parents.
- Create effective learning environments, develop rapport with students and manage student behaviour.
Courses with unit
This unit is offered as part of Swinburne Online programs.
Please note that unit codes have changed from 2014. Please ensure that you check the unit entry for the correct 2014 unit code.