- One semester
- 36 contact hours over the semester, normally 3 hours per week
Aims and objectives
Services is the fastest growing business sector, nationally as well as globally. This unit explores the major differences between the marketing of services as distinct from marketing tangible products, and aims at providing students with the special skills required to develop and implement marketing strategies in service-based businesses.
Customer Relationship Management (CRM) is more about culture, human resources and organisational issues than simply the use of information technology (IT) systems. This unit views the overall development of CRM systems for Marketing use, and particularly their impact on services marketing and management.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
• understand the relationship between services marketing theory and practice, and be able to apply that theory to diverse business/marketing situations
• undertake further or extended research with a view to identifying CRM and service opportunities within the marketplace
• appreciate the internal and external factors that may contribute to success with innovations in service provision and CRM systems
• respect and analyse multiple and diverse points of view
• understand the need for ethical marketing behaviour in the services area
• be aware of the need for socially responsible Services Marketing and CRM practices
• analyse changes in the dynamic services market environments, and devise appropriate marketing strategies (including CRM strategies) to accommodate such changes
• understand the differing and dynamic Macro and Micro-environments in which a services organisation operates
• understand the overall business context within which service provision operates, and relate the role/place of services marketing to that larger context
• understand the particular business context within which the organisation operates, and relate the role/place of CRM to that context
• be aware of the cultural and social factors which can lead to more successful services provision, and which must be taken into account with CRM systems
Courses with unit
Co-badged with MAR260 Services Marketing (Online)
Please note that unit codes have changed from 2014. Please ensure that you check the unit entry for the correct 2014 unit code.