Health Sciences and Community Care
Make a real difference to the lives of those around you. A health sciences and community care course at Swinburne can give you the skills to help improve the wellbeing of communities and groups across Australia. Develop specialised skills and work in a supportive environment that will give you the chance to succeed in a challenging and rewarding career.
Studying health sciences and community care at Swinburne
Examine the physical, psychological and social aspects of health in a variety of settings and be taught by experienced teachers who are practitioners in their field.
- Health sciences students have access to a range of laboratories and testing facilities equipped with the latest technology.
- New, state-of-the-art teaching labs are available for nursing students.
- The Advanced Technologies Centre houses the only physical containment laboratory at any university in Australia. The lab provides security for research into extreme biological contagions.
A supportive environment
- Our high-quality teaching, modern facilities and industry-engaged curriculum ensures you can graduate with the skills you need to enter and get ahead in the workforce.
- Take advantage of the free workshops, seminars and online resources at the Learning and Academic Skills Centre.
- Our flexible course structure offers access to an extensive range of subjects from different disciplines.
Swinburne has a practical approach to learning and most of my units include classes in the laboratories. Participating in the Industry-Based Learning program also meant a whole hospital became my lab. As a student cardiac technologist at MonashHeart I was trained to conduct cardiac testing such as ECGs, exercise ECG testing, heart rhythm monitoring and blood pressure monitoring.
Bachelor of Science (Biomedical Science)
Access your career
Graduates in the health sciences and community care sectors are needed now more than ever. The ageing population and ever-increasing importance placed on public health means new jobs are emerging rapidly.
Take up expanding opportunities in mental health, aged care, Indigenous health and children's services. Work in remote communities, apply psychology to sporting teams and create policies to support health choices.
Career opportunities include:
- aged-care worker
- alcohol and drugs counsellor
- case worker
- childcare worker
- child protection worker
- children’s activities coordinator
- community development officer
- community health worker
- disability officer
- environmental health officer
- family support worker
- health education officer
- health promotion officer
- mental health support worker
- personal care attendant
- physiotherapists assistant
- policy developer
- pre-school assistant
- quality and improvement consultant
- recreation assistant
- social welfare worker
- special needs inclusion worker
- youth worker
I worked as an environmental health officer for the Victorian State government as part of my Industry-Based Learning placement. I also completed a rural cadetship in local government. I have made valuable industry contacts and I’m confident that I’ll be job-ready when I finish my course.
Bachelor of Health Science (Public and Environmental Health)
Connect with industry
At Swinburne, we go beyond the classroom and engage with industry to better prepare you for your career. All of our courses include work-based elements, which can include work placements and projects, and workplace scenarios and simulations.
Our Industry-Based Learning program can help you gain practical skills during a six- for 12-month paid work placement. Final-year Capstone Projects also provide an opportunity to engage with industry. You could contribute to an industry or community project, competition submission, or research-based or internally developed project.
Focus on research
PREVENTING YOUTH HOMELESSNESS
Swinburne is participating in innovative collaborations with community agencies Anchor Inc, Outer Eastern LLEN, Time for Youth and Barwon Youth to prevent youth homelessness. The partnerships are using early intervention models to reach young people before they hit crisis point.
Find a health sciences and community care course
- Bachelor of Community Health - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Health Science - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Health Science (Public and Environmental Health) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Arts (Psychology and Sport Science) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) - Hawthorn, Wantirna
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) - Online
- Bachelor of Education (Primary) - Online
- Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) (Honours) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Science (Biomedical Science) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Honours year, Hawthorn
- Associate Degree of Health and Community Care - Hawthorn
Diplomas & Certificates
- Certificate III in Health Services Assistance - Wantirna
- Certificate IV in Mental Health - Hawthorn, Wantirna
- Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety
- Diploma of Work Health and Safety
- Advanced Diploma of Nursing (Enrolled / Division 2 nursing) - Wantirna
- Certificate II in Emergency Medical Service First Response
- Certificate III in Aged Care - Wantirna
- Certificate III in Non-Emergency Client Transport
- Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs - Hawthorn
- Certificate IV in Community Services Work - Hawthorn, Wantirna
- Certificate IV in Disability - Wantirna
- Diploma of Community Services Work - Hawthorn, Wantirna
- Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care - Hawthorn, Wantirna
- Diploma of Nursing (Enrolled-Division 2 nursing) - Wantirna
Master & PhDs
- Graduate Certificate in Forensic Mental Health Nursing - Hawthorn, Online
- Graduate Diploma of Forensic Mental Health Nursing - Hawthorn, Online
- Master of Health Sciences (Research) - Hawthorn
- Graduate Certificate in Forensic Behavioural Science - Online
- Graduate Certificate in Violence Risk Assessment and Management - Hawthorn
- Graduate Certificate of Social Science (Housing Management and Policy) - Off-Campus
- Graduate Diploma of Forensic Behavioural Science - Online
- Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Primary) - Online
- Master of Forensic Behavioural Science - Online
- Master of Teaching (Primary) - Online
- Doctor of Philosophy - Health Sciences - Hawthorn
- Doctor of Philosophy - Science - Hawthorn
- Doctor of Psychology (Clinical Psychology) - Hawthorn
- Doctor of Psychology (Clinical and Forensic Psychology) - Hawthorn
- Doctor of Psychology (Counselling Psychology) - Hawthorn