Do the concepts of style, colour and form spark your creative passion? Is visual expression in your future? Studying design at Swinburne allows you to combine your creativity with business sense and industry insight. Harness your imagination and take part in the innovative design thinking that will define the 21st century.
NATIONAL PRODUCT DESIGN ENGINEERING CHALLENGE
Re-imagine a plastic bottle or container so that it has an innovative secondary function.
You could win a weekend in Melbourne and attend your entrance interview for the Bachelor of Engineering (Product Design) (Honours) in person.
Competition closes 24 July.
Studying design at Swinburne
Creativity meets business
Reimagine spaces, create innovative products or design new media. Whatever your goal, a Swinburne design course can take you there. With professionally trained teachers and access to industry experts in Australia and overseas, our courses allow you to create any career you can imagine.
State-of-the-art resources and technology
- Our brand-new Advanced Manufacturing and Design Centre brings together design and innovative thinking and serves as a hub for world-class research and education.
- The Swinburne Design Factory, Australia's first 'living lab' dedicated to design, places students from different disciplines in a professional setting to solve problems for industry.
- Benefit from recognition from and membership with the Australasian Interactive Media Industry Association, Australian Graphic Design Association or Design Institute of Australia.
Natalie used shipping containers – usually destined to be waste – as her inspiration for her project during her double degree in business and design.
Access your career
Let your creativity thrive. Influence the future of video games and mobile apps, apply your analytical mind to industrial design projects or work with your hands in the visual arts. A Swinburne design course offers creators and innovators any number of possible careers.
Careers opportunities include:
- advertising/art director
- design manager
- exhibition designer
- furniture designer
- graphic designer/illustrator
- industrial/product designer
- interaction designer
- interior architecture designer
- interior designer
- packaging designer
- post-production visual effects artist
- video game designer/developer
- website and app designer
DESIGN GRADUATES OF THE YEAR
Evelyn Caceres (pictured) has been named Graduate of the Year in the Graphic Design category by the Design Institute of Australian Victoria and Tasmania. She graduated with a Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) (Honours) in 2014. Remy Cerritelli, a graduate of Swinburne's Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design) (Honours), won the Graduate of the Year Award in the Furniture Design category
Connect with industry
Experience is the best way to realise your creative potential and achieve your career goals. Establishing those relationships through our Industry-Based Learning program is one way studying at Swinburne can set you apart. Work with a design firm, participate in a professional photo shoot or travel overseas to see how the industry really works.
LELULAH BOUTIQUE OPENS
Emily Taylor, a graduate of Swinburne’s Diploma of Visual Merchandising, is promoting Australian fashion labels and designers through her new store, Lelulah Boutique.
Find a design course
- Bachelor of Design (Branded Environments) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) - Online
- Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) (Honours) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Design (Digital Media Design) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Design (Honours) - Honours year, Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design) (Honours) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Design (Interior Architecture) (Honours) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) / Bachelor of Business - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Innovation and Design - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Laws / Bachelor of Innovation and Design - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Engineering (Product Design) (Honours) - Hawthorn
Diplomas & Certificates
- Certificate IV in Design - Hawthorn, Wantirna
- Diploma of Design (UniLink) (8 months) - Hawthorn
- Advanced Diploma of Building Design (Architectural) - Croydon, Hawthorn
- Advanced Diploma of Graphic Design - Hawthorn, Wantirna
- Diploma of Graphic Design - Hawthorn, Wantirna
- Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration - Hawthorn
- Diploma of Product Design - Hawthorn
- Certificate IV in Interior Decoration - Hawthorn
- Diploma of Photo Imaging - Wantirna
- Diploma of Visual Arts - Wantirna
- Diploma of Visual Merchandising - Wantirna
Master & PhDs
- Graduate Certificate of Design - Hawthorn
- Graduate Diploma of Design - Hawthorn
- Master of Design - Hawthorn
- Master of Design (Research) - Hawthorn
- Graduate Certificate of Design Strategy and Innovation - Hawthorn
- Graduate Diploma of Design Strategy and Innovation - Hawthorn
- Master of Design Strategy and Innovation - Hawthorn
- Doctor of Philosophy (Technology Innovation) - Hawthorn
- Doctor of Philosophy - Design - Hawthorn