Do the concepts of style, colour and form spark your creative passion? Is visual expression in your future? Studying design at Swinburne allows you to combine your creativity with business sense and industry insight. Harness your imagination and take part in the innovative design thinking that will define the 21st century.
Studying design at Swinburne
Creativity meets business
Reimagine spaces, create innovative products or design new media. Whatever your goal, a Swinburne design course can take you there. With professionally trained teachers and access to industry experts in Australia and overseas, our courses allow you to create any career you can imagine.
State-of-the-art resources and technology
- Our brand-new Advanced Manufacturing and Design Centre brings together design and innovative thinking and serves as a hub for world-class research and education.
- The Swinburne Design Factory, Australia's first 'living lab' dedicated to design, places students from different disciplines in a professional setting to solve problems for industry.
- Benefit from recognition from and membership with the Australasian Interactive Media Industry Association, Australian Graphic Design Association or Design Institute of Australia.
Access your career
Let your creativity thrive. Influence the future of video games and mobile apps, apply your analytical mind to industrial design projects or work with your hands in the visual arts. A Swinburne design course offers creators and innovators any number of possible careers.
Careers opportunities include:
- advertising/art director
- design manager
- exhibition designer
- furniture designer
- graphic designer/illustrator
- industrial/product designer
- interaction designer
- interior architecture designer
- interior designer
- packaging designer
- post-production visual effects artist
- video game designer/developer
- website and app designer
KWAN THE CHINESE LION
Ching Tan and his wife Linda, both graduates of Swinburne's Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design), have launched a Kickstarter campaign for their Kwan the Chinese Lion project. The interactive kit is designed to teach culture through play and includes a cardboard lion head, a booklet and access to the online portal.
Connect with industry
Experience is the best way to realise your creative potential and achieve your career goals. Establishing those relationships through our Industry-Based Learning program is one way studying at Swinburne can set you apart. Work with a design firm, participate in a professional photo shoot or travel overseas to see how the industry really works.
HIGH FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY
Collaboration and production were the goals of a recent promotional photo shoot that brought together students from Swinburne’s Diploma of Photo Imaging and Australian fashion label sass & bide. Photographs taken by the students featured in sass & bide social media and promotional campaigns.
Find a design course
- Bachelor of Design (Branded Environments) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) - Online
- Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) (Honours) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Design (Digital Media Design) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design) (Honours) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Design (Interior Architecture) (Honours) - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Design (Communication Design)/ Bachelor of Business - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Innovation and Design - Hawthorn
- Bachelor of Engineering (Product Design) (Honours) - Hawthorn
Diplomas & Certificates
- Certificate IV in Design - Hawthorn, Wantirna
- Diploma of Design (UniLink) (8 months) - Hawthorn
- Advanced Diploma of Building Design (Architectural) - Croydon, Hawthorn
- Advanced Diploma of Graphic Design - Hawthorn, Wantirna
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals - Hawthorn
- Diploma of Graphic Design - Hawthorn, Wantirna
- Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration - Hawthorn
- Diploma of Product Design - Hawthorn
- Certificate IV in Interior Decoration - Hawthorn
- Diploma of Photo Imaging - Wantirna
- Diploma of Visual Arts - Wantirna
- Diploma of Visual Merchandising - Wantirna
Master & PhDs
- Doctor of Design - Hawthorn
- Graduate Diploma of Design (Communication Design) - Hawthorn
- Graduate Diploma of Design (Design Anthropology) - Online
- Graduate Diploma of Design (Interior Design) - Hawthorn
- Master of Design (Communication Design) - Hawthorn
- Master of Design (Design Anthropology) - Hawthorn
- Master of Design (Interior Design) - Hawthorn
- Master of Design (Research) - Hawthorn
- Doctor of Philosophy (Design) - Hawthorn
- Doctor of Philosophy (Technology Innovation) - Hawthorn