Professor M Akbar Rhamdhani
PhD, McMaster University, Canada; BEng (Hons), Institute Technology Bandung, Indonesia
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering and Product Design Engineering
- ATC-844 Hawthorn campus
Professor M Akbar Rhamdhani obtained his PhD from McMaster University Canada in Materials Science and Engineering. He has been a teaching-research academic at Institute of Technology Bandung (ITB) and the University of Queensland, before joining Swinburne in the Dept of Mechanical and Product Design Engineering. Akbar was a Visiting Professor at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven Belgium. He is currently also an Adjunct Professor at the Faculty of Engineering, Universitas Indonesia.
Akbar's research focuses on advanced metal/material refining and impurities removal (e.g. in steel, aluminium, magnesium, silicon, nickel, and minerals); development of new processes for metal production; thermodynamics and kinetics of high temperature metal and chemical processes; and physical chemistry of interface. Akbar's recent research projects include: Thermodynamic behaviour of valuable trace elements during e-waste processing in copper smelting; Oxidation behaviour of rare-earth elements in permanent magnet scrap; Electrically enhanced silicon refining; Development of novel high temperature aluminium production process; Impurities control in electronic conductor grade aluminium; Removal of impurities from Titanium ore.
Akbar has been working conducting joint research, delivering courses and workshops with/to metals industries in Europe and Indonesia. He is an author/co-author of more than 190 publications (book chapters, journal papers, conference papers, conference proceedings). Akbar and research teams have been awarded a number of international awards including the 2019 Kent D Peaslee Award from AIST USA; the 2015 Mann Redmayne Medal from IOM3 United Kingdom; the 2015 Marcus Grossmann Medal from ASM International USA; and the 2015 MetSoc Award from Metallurgical Society of Canada. Also recently, Akbar was awarded a 2018 World Class Professor and 2018 World Class Scholar from the Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education, Republic of Indonesia.
High Temperature Materials Processing; High Temperature Physical Chemistry; Phase Equilibria; Advanced Metals/Materials Refining and Impurities Removal; Extractive Metallurgy; Resource Efficiency; Recovery of Metals from Alternative and Urban Ores; New Processes for Metals Production with Low Carbon Footprint; Process Thermodynamics and Kinetics; Solar Processing of Metals and Materials
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Comprehensive Approach for Recycling and Recovery of Metals from Electric Vehicles Batteries: This project will develop a comprehensive process route using hybrid metallurgical processes for the recycling and recovery of valuable metals from electric vehicles batteries. The project will involve the assessment on the best processing routes, suitable technologies, thermodynamic and techno‐economic evaluation.
Direct Reduction of Lead Blast Furnace Slag using Alternative Carbon Sources: (Prof M.A. Rhamdhani and Prof G.A. Brooks).This project will study the reduction of lead blast furnace slag using alternative carbon sources, from urban ores (e.g. waste printed circuit board-WPCB), including examine the reduction reaction mechanism and the overall kinetics, measure the partitioning of the valuable metals between the phases.
Mobile Recycling and Metals Recovery Facilities for Urban Ores: Design, Techno-economic, and Business Evaluations: (Prof M.A.Rhamdhani, Dr Y.Sembada, Dr K.M.Tse). The project will develop an automated mobile recycling and valuable metals recovery facilities for urban ores, focussing on 1) Assessment on design, suitable technologies, thermodynamic and techno‐economic evaluation; 2) Market and demand assessment for the technology.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Pyrometallurgy - 091407
- Metals And Alloy Materials - 091207
- Energy Generation, Conversion And Storage Engineering - 091305
Thermodynamics;Heat Transfer;Renewable Energy
- 2019, International, SCKD (World Class Scholar) 2019, Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education, Republic of Indonesia
- 2019, International, Kent D. Peaslee Award, AIST (Association for Iron and Steel Technology), USA
- 2018, International, World Class Professor 2018, Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education, Republic of Indonesia
- 2018, International, SCKD (World Class Scholar) 2018 , Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education, Republic of Indonesia
- 2018, Swinburne, Faculty FSET Teaching Award (Most Improved Unit), Swinburne
- 2018, Swinburne, Faculty FSET Researcher of the Year (MCR), Swinburne
- 2017, Swinburne, A highly commended mention in Vice Chancellor's Teaching Excellence (Higher Education) Award, Swinburne
- 2016, Swinburne, Research Sabbatical Scheme, Swinburne
- 2015, International, MetSoc Award, Metallurgical Society of Canada, CIM
- 2015, International, Marcus Grossmann Award, ASM International
- 2015, International, Mann Redmayne Medal, IOM3, UK
- 2015, National, Australia-Korea Research Leader Exchange Scholar, NRF Korea - DFAT Australia
- 2009, Swinburne, Vice Chancellor's Research Award, Swinburne
- 2009, Swinburne, Vice Chancellor's Internationalisation Award, Swinburne
- 2004, Other, Clifton W Sherman Scholarship, McMaster
- 2003, Other, Stelco-McMaster Graduate Fellowship, McMaster
- 2003, Other, D.A.R. Kay Memorial Prize, McMaster
- 2002, Other, Stelco-McMaster Graduate Fellowship, McMaster
- 2000, Other, Best and Youngest Graduate - Mechanical Engineering, ITB
- 1999, Other, Best Student from Dr Abdoel Djalal Foundation, ITB
Also published as: Rhamdhani, M.; Rhamdhani, Muhammad; Akbar Rhamdhani, M.; Rhamdhani, A.; Rhamdhani, Akbar; Rhamdhani, M. A.; Rhamdhani, M. Akbar; Rhamdhani, Muhammad A.; Rhamdhani, Muhammad Akbar
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2019: Nurturing Graduates for Australian Automotive Engineering Futures - Automotive Engineering Graduate Program *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- 2019: Sinter Mineralogy and Properties *; CSIRO Post-Grad Scholarships
- 2018: Development of Dynamic Heat Transfer Model of Oxygen Steelmaking *; Tata Steel Nederland Technology BV
- 2018: Development of New Refining Technology for Indonesian Mineral Resources *; Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education Fund Scheme
- 2018: Evaluation and Measurement of Thermal properties of Composite Heat Shields *; Diver Consolidated Industries (DCI) / Diver Metal Products Pty Limited
- 2018: Recovery of Zn/ZnO and Al-Cu Alloys from End-of-Life Alkaline and Li-Ion Batteries *; Innovation Connections
- 2017: Analysis of Recovery of Valuable Components from Fractions from Processed End-of-Life (EOL) Li-Ion Battery and PV Cell *; Innovation Connections
- 2017: Reduction Kinetics between Coke and Slag in a Lead Blast Furnace *; Umicore Group R & D
- 2015: Behaviour of NDFeB magnets in high temperature recycling process - 2015 Postgraduate Top Up Scholarship for Muhammad Firdaus *; Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- 2014: Direct Reduction of Fayalitic Slag in Pb Blast Furnace *; Umicore Group R & D
- 2013: Describe the segregation behaviour of Pb, In, Ag, Sn & Cd from a ZnO rich mixture containing these elements as compounds *; Umicore Group R & D
- 2013: Glass Fines Project *; Visy
- 2013: Wealth from Waste (Recycling systems: barriers and enablers for industrial ecology in Australia) *; CSIRO Flagship Collaboration Research Fund
- 2012: Literature Review and Study for Umicore *; Umicore Group R & D
- 2012: Phase Diagram Studies in the System Cr-Fe-Ti-O-S and Application to the Separation of Cr-Spinel Contaminants from Limenite Concentrates *; CSIRO Flagship Collaboration Research Fund
- 2012: Study of WEEE behaviours in the TSL furnace *; Outotec Pty Ltd - Contract
- 2011: Cu fuming from zinc oxide products *; Umicore Group R & D
- 2010: 09 CAST PhD Top-up Scholarship for Abdul Khaliq *; CRC for Cast Metals Manufacturing (CAST CRC)
- 2010: Auto CRC Final Year Project Agreement - Paul Gangemi *; CRC for Advanced Automotive Technology
- 2010: New Sidewall Materials for Aluminium Smelting - 2010 CSIRO Flagship Collaboration Fund Postgraduate Top Up Scholarship (Light Metals Flagship) for Reiza Mukhlis *; CSIRO Flagship Collaboration Research Fund
* Chief Investigator
- 2019-08-31: Swinburne researchers hand-picked for Indonesian research symposium - Swinburne Media Centre
- 2019-08-15: Prof Akbar Rhamdhani invited to the SCKD 2019, Directorate General SDID, Ministry of Research, Technology, Higher Education, Republic of Indonesia - Directorate General Resources, Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education, Republic of Indonesia
- 2019-06-07: Prof Akbar Rhamdhani awarded the 2019 AIST Kent D Peaslee Award - Swinburne Media Centre
- 2015-07-24: International awards for Swinburne High Temperature Processing group - Swinburne Media Centre
- 2013-12-31: Degrees of Separation - Swinburne Media Centre - Venture Magazine 2013
- 2013-03-04: Keynote Speaker at TMS2013 - Webpage
- 2013-01-29: Metals forum to discuss energy supply - Swinburne Media Centre