Chemistry and Biotechnology Laboratories
Swinburne's chemistry and biotechnology laboratories support applied and industrial research in chemistry, environmental science and biotechnology.
Our laboratory capabilities are linked to research activities in a wide range of areas and facilitate alliances with external partners via collaborations and contract research projects.
We have equipment and technological expertise in the following areas.
Biotechnology and sustainability
- Molecular biology
- Biological culture (microbiology, cell biology including stem cells, plant, small aquatic organisms)
- Biological containment facilities
- Microscopy (Confocal, other specialised)
- Cell analysis (flow cytometry and optical tweezers)
- Bioreactors and biodegradation studies
- Food, water and other environmental sample analysis
Physical and analytical chemistry
- Computational chemistry (access to Swinburne GPU Supercomputer and computational software, high powered Mac workstation)
- Mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF (part of the bioMerieux Reference Centre), liquid chromatography, gas chromatography, nuclear magnetic resonance)
- Surface and materials analysis (Raman, AFM, XPS, SPR, XRD, Contact Angles, SEM, ATR-FTIR, particle sizer, particle image velocity detector, particle sizer, surface modification)
More facilities can be found in our ANFF laboratories.
Please send any enquiries about these facilities to: