Candidates undertaking a Professional Doctorate make a significant and original contribution to professional practice. You will write a thesis and complete a coursework component. Your overall works should be equivalent to 70,000 – 100,000 words.
A Professional Doctorate student is expected to:
- conduct independent research of high originality and quality
- independently conceive of, design, conduct and complete a research project or program
- develop a critical knowledge and understanding of the research area and methodological approaches
- communicate convincingly with clarity and relevance to appropriate audiences.
Doctor of Psychology programs
You must have completed at least four years of studies in psychology at a high level of achievement. For example, one of the following:
- a four-year (or equivalent) sequence of studies in psychology at first or upper second class level in a course or courses accredited by the APS
- equivalent overseas qualifications recognised by the APS
- a master degree in psychology.
A high level of achievement is the equivalent of an honours degree class 1 (average grade between 80-100) or class 2A (average grade between 70-79).
You must have been approved for the award of the degree or degrees you studied.
You must also have experience or training in counselling, such as:
- experience in face-to-face counselling
- significant training in counselling skills
- counselling skills in tertiary programs
- other appropriate work experience.
You must also undertake a selection interview.
You will also need to check the specific entry requirements for your program.
English language requirements (international applicants)
International candidates must meet one of the following requirements:
- obtain a minimum IELTS overall band of 6.5 (Academic Module) with no individual band below 6.0 or a TOEFL iBT (Internet-based) minimum score of 79 (with a reading band no less than 18 and writing band no less than 20); or Pearson (PTE) 58 (no communicative skills less than 50) no longer than 24 months before submitting your application
- satisfactorily complete the Swinburne College English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Advanced level certificate at the postgraduate level (EAP 5: PG-70%)
- successfully complete a total of 24 months (full time equivalent) of formal study where the language of instruction and assessment was English at AQF level 7 or above (or equivalent) at an approved university no longer than 60 months before submitting your application.