Integrated PhD Program
Swinburne offers an Integrated PhD Program in selected discipline areas as a pathway to turn your 3-year bachelor degree into a higher degree by research. The program combines structured coursework units in research methods and communication with self-directed research projects.
Bachelor of Research (Honours)
During this program you’ll complete a Bachelor of Research (Honours) degree in the first year. This includes units in research design, data collection and data analysis, to give you the skills you’ll need to carry out an independent research project.
To be eligible for admission to the Bachelor of Research (Honours), applicants must:
- have successfully completed an undergraduate degree with a university approved by Swinburne
- have achieved a weighted credit average in their degree.
Successful applicants will receive a conditional offer for the Masters of Research and Doctor of Philosophy components of the program.
Master of Research
In the second year of the program you’ll undertake supervised research in the discipline of your choice, develop skills in project management and critical thinking, and refine your communication skills. You will complete a major thesis that demonstrates mastery of inquiry in a field of a discipline or profession to receive a Masters of Research while preparing you for a PhD.
To be eligible for admission to the Master of Research applicants must:
- have successfully completed the Bachelor of Research (Honours) at Swinburne with a credit average.
Doctor of Philosophy
If you want to, you can then progress into the PhD. During the PhD program you will undertake further supervised research. You will submit a written research thesis consisting of 70 000 to 100 000 words with the aim of making a significant and original contribution to a discipline or profession.
To be eligible for admission into the Doctor of Philosophy – Integrated, applicants must:
- have successfully completed the Master of Research at Swinburne with a minimum H2A average (70% or higher)
- have a confirmation of Candidature Review.
English language requirements (international applicants)
International candidates must meet one of the following requirements:
- a minimum IELTS overall band of 6.5 (Academic Module) with no individual band below 6.0 or a TOEFL iBT (internet-based) minimum score of 79 (with a reading band no less than 18 and writing band no less than 20)
- a minimum Pearson (PTE) 58 (no communicative skills less than 50) no more than 24 months before submitting your application
- satisfactory completion of Swinburne’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP 5 Advanced level) with overall 70%, all skills 65%
- successful completion of a total of 24 months (full time equivalent) of formal study where the language of instruction and assessment was English at AQF level 7 or above (or equivalent) at an approved university no longer than 60 months before submitting your application.