Swinburne design takes centre stage in Hong Kong
Tuesday 27 November 2018
- Swinburne taking part in Business of Design Week in Hong Kong
- Swinburne will host exhibitions and workshops throughout the week
- Design leaders from the Swinburne community speaking at events
Design at Swinburne University of Technology is in Hong Kong for December’s Business of Design Week (BoDW), hosting exhibitions, workshops and featuring speakers from the Swinburne community.
Taking place 3-8 December, BoDW is Asia’s premier annual event covering design, innovation and brands since 2002. Melbourne is this year’s partner city to the event, providing an opportunity for Victoria’s design industry to showcase itself.
“Business of Design Week is a fantastic opportunity for Swinburne to further build connections in Asia and for our staff and students to remain at the forefront of the design industry,” says Pro Vice-Chancellor, Faculty of Health, Arts and Design, Scott Thompson-Whiteside, also a member of the BoDW organising committee.
“Swinburne continues to be a world leader in design, consistently ranked highly on the world stage by industry and educational institutions. This year the university ranked in the top 40 of the QS rankings world subject rankings for Art and Design.
“We are able to achieve these results because of our innovative approach to design-learning, our strong industry engagement and the cutting edge research by our academic staff. Our staff are dedicated to producing future-ready graduates and future design leaders.”
Throughout BoDW, Swinburne will be engaged in several activities in Hong Kong including:
- Design Inspire exhibition showcasing Swinburne Product Design Engineering and Industrial Design student outcomes in collaboration with the Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong;
- Swinburne School of Design exhibition in collaboration with Creative Victoria and National Gallery of Victoria, showcasing achievements in design at Swinburne from throughout 2018;
- DeTour Creative Festival workshops engaging students and industry with risk-taking and experimentation in design through zine making.
Swinburne Master of Design students will also be undertaking a study tour to China coinciding with BoDW, participating in events around Hong Kong while strengthening their knowledge of design.
The Swinburne community will also be represented during the week with several alumni and design leaders presenting at the BoDW conference, including:
- Dr Kenneth Cato AO, Chairman and Global Director at Cato Brand Partners
- Sonny Tilders, Creative Director at Creature Technology Company
- David Flack, Studio Manager at Flack Studios
Business of Design Week takes place 3-8 December in Hong Kong. For more information see BoDW website.