Director of Multicultural Engagement appointed Race Discrimination Commissioner
Friday 5 October 2018
- Chin Tan appointed Australia’s Race Discrimination Commissioner
- Mr Tan led the development of Swinburne’s Charter of Cultural Diversity
- Swinburne appointed Mr Tan as the inaugural Director of Multicultural Engagement in 2016
Swinburne congratulates Chin Tan on his new appointment as Australian Race Discrimination Commissioner.
Vice-President, Engagement, Jane Ward, says the Swinburne community has benefited greatly from Mr Tan’s leadership as the inaugural Director of Multicultural Engagement and has valued his contributions over the past three years.
Swinburne’s commitment to a strong culture of diversity is reflected in recent initiatives and achievements, including:
- The launch of a Charter of Cultural Diversity, reaffirming and extending acknowledgement and respect for the many cultures that make up the Swinburne community.
- The introduction of Welcome Scholarships for students seeking asylum, giving access to tertiary education in Australia without the burden of tuition fees.
- Becoming the first university to be recognised by the Victorian Government for outstanding contributions to cultural diversity.
‘During his time at Swinburne, Chin has been dedicated to building and strengthening relationships in our vibrant and diverse multicultural community,’ says Ms Ward.
‘I am confident he will continue to be a dedicated ambassador and friend to the university and we wish him well in his new role.’