Swinburne – the most open of Open Days
Monday 23 July 2018
- Swinburne’s Hawthorn campus will be open from 10am until 4pm on Sunday 29 July
- Observe firsthand all that makes Swinburne one of Australia’s most innovative universities
- Explore the facilities, take guided tours, jump into interactive workshops and talk face-to-face with staff
Pick up some tips from Masterchef contestant, Charlie Sartori, as he performs live cooking demos in our brand new Nutrition and Dietetics kitchen at Swinburne’s Open Day.
At Open Day you can explore study opportunities and observe firsthand all that makes Swinburne one of Australia’s most innovative universities.
From 10am until 4pm on Sunday 29 July, Swinburne will throw open the doors of its Hawthorn campus to prospective students, their families and the community. Explore the facilities, take guided tours, jump into interactive workshops and talk face-to-face with our academic and teaching staff.
Highlights of Swinburne’s Open Day
- Join Uncle Bill Nicholson as he performs a traditional smoking ceremony – an ancient custom among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Native plants will be burnt to produce smoke, which wards off bad spirits, acknowledges ancestors and pays respect to the land and sea of country.
- Find out if you have what it takes for a career in engineering in our exciting immersive challenge, where guests solve puzzles in a set time.
- Wander our nursery, where every plant has been grown from seed by current Swinburne horticulture students. Like what your see? It’s all available to purchase and take home.
- Think you’d make a great detective? Test your powers of observation at an interactive crime scene run by real police officers.
- Check out our concrete crushing machine capable of applying 500 tonnes to crush test specimens. See how it’s used to evaluate bushfire damage, learn about the use of carbon fibre in modern civil engineering design and watch the machine in action.
- Take a tour of the Universe and witness the Big Bang in OzGrav’s out-of-this-world virtual reality experiences. Ask the scientists and staff about their research into gravitational waves, and get a selfie on the Pocket Black Hole app.
- Get competitive and try out all the latest games created by Swinburne students, then ask them about their experience studying games at Swinburne.
Year 11 and 12 students from country Victoria or interstate may be eligible for up to $250 to subsidise their return travel costs to Open Day, along with lunch for two in our exclusive chill-out space. Find out more and apply for an Experience Swinburne Grant.