Professor Sally McArthur honoured at BioMelbourne Network awards
Monday 23 May 2016
- Awards recognise leaders in biotechnology and medical technology
- Professor Sally McArthur, Most Valuable Women in Leadership Award
- Ms Jacqui Savage, Emerging Leader Award
The annual awards champion rising stars and outstanding leaders in biotechnology and medical technology who are driving the future of healthcare innovation.
“Sally is a valuable member of our leadership team,” Swinburne Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Development) Professor Aleksandar Subic says.
“We are proud to see that her significant contribution to building industry-university collaboration in the bio-medical sector through innovative research and training initiatives has been recognised through this award.”
Professor McArthur joined Swinburne in 2008 to reinvigorate the university’s biomedical engineering program.
She established a multidisciplinary biointerface engineering group that uses knowledge from material science, surface engineering, physical science, analytical chemistry and biochemistry to create innovative interfaces for biomedical applications.
Professor McArthur was instrumental in establishing the ARC Training Industrial Centre for Biodevices at Swinburne.
The centre is working with nine Melbourne-based medical technology companies to develop new products and services for healthcare markets.
It also aims to develop the next generation of entrepreneurial and industry-ready PhD graduates for the sector through an innovative program with a design-led research philosophy.
Swinburne alumna Jacqueline Savage was also honoured at the BioMelbourne Network awards with the Emerging Leader Award. Ms Savage is joining Swinburne's Innovation Precinct.
BioMelbourne Network Women in Leadership Awards
The annual awards highlight the stories of Australia’s successful female innovators and entrepreneurs. There are three awards:
- The Women in Leadership Award recognises senior corporate leadership and directorship
- The Most Valuable Women in Leadership Award celebrates leadership of teams, projects and initiatives
- The Emerging Women in Leadership Award acknowledges rising stars with high potential for future success