Central European Business Forum 2014
Tuesday 16 December 2014
Diplomats of Central European countries recently met with Australian businessmen and government stakeholders to explore strategies to develop economic connections between Australia and Central European countries.
The forum was sponsored by the Faculty of Business and Law, Swinburne University of Technology, and the Consular Office of Hungary in Melbourne. It was also supported by Swinburne Leadership Institute and the RMIT EU Centre.
Diplomats of the states invited (Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania and Slovak Republic), agreed it is much more effective to work together in exploring business connections with Australia. They added that it is also easier to raise the interest of Australian business and government partners when they see a big, unified market, with similar purchasing power to Australia itself.
The main objectives of the meeting were to:
- generate public interest and exposure of the potential in business government
- develop strategies to facilitate enhanced exposure, information flow and stakeholder engagement of Central European Business in Australia
- provide a platform for stakeholder involvement
- organise activities and events supporting achievement of the above objectives.
The participants agreed they will collaborate at regular business events, including an annual conference, as well as research activities and reciprocal trade missions.
- Peter Bakonyi (Chief Consul of Hungary to Melbourne)
- Dr Aron Perenyi (Lecturer in International Business, Swinburne University of Technology)
- Professor Bruce Wilson (Director, RMIT EU Centre)
- Professor Bernadine van Gramberg (Dean, Swinburne Business School)
- Dr Cristina Neehsam (Lecturer, Monash University)
- Dr Alexis Esposto (Senior Lecturer, Swinburne University of Technology)
- Dr Ferenc Birloni (Operations Manager, MWEngineers)
- Charles Kovess (President, Australia-Hungary Chamber of Commerce)
- Anna Petrasova (Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of the Slovak Republic)
- Dr Csaba Pakozdi (Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of Hungary)
- Raymond Roche (Trade Adviser, Australian Trade Commission)
- Daniela Masci (Senior Manager Trade, Middle East, North Africa and Europe,
Department of State Development, Business and Innovation, Victoria)
- Miklos Karpati (Senior Business Intelligence Consultant, Telstra)
- Dr George Luk (Honorary Consul-General of Poland to Melbourne)
- Brendan Hodgson (Business Relations Officer, Victoria State Office, DFAT)
- Professor Howard Frederick (Deakin University)