What is Industry-Based Learning (IBL)?
Industry-Based Learning (IBL) is a program for undergraduate students in which they are offered the opportunity to undertake full-time, paid employment in industry, in an area relevant to their studies.
Industry-Based Learning is part of Swinburne's suite of Industry-Engaged Learning programs.
The Faculty of Life and Social Sciences offers IBL placements in the following fields:
- Arts and Humanities
- Health Science
- Media/Digital Media
- Social Science
IBL gives students the opportunity to:
- Obtain valuable industry experience and professional skills
- Gain insight into a professional career with networks
- Gain income while learning
- Increase professional communication and interpersonal skills
- Enhance motivation, confidence and maturity
- Gain a head start in the competitive graduate job market
Research by Swinburne indicates that, compared with other students, IBL graduates:
- Secure a job faster than their non-IBL counterparts
- Commence at a higher starting salary
- Assume a higher level of responsibility in their first graduate job
According to the Graduate Careers Australia 2010 Report, a graduate's employment history has topped the list of aspects that Industry Partners consider to be the single most important feature of a graduate's curriculum vitae.