Gambling Research Program
Getting Help and Other Resources
If you would like to speak to a qualified and experienced counsellor on the telephone, contact numbers are provided for each state below. These telephone helpline services are in operation 24-hours, 7-days a week, and provide crisis counselling for problem gamblers, their families, friends and others. They can also assist you to access face to face counselling and cater for callers from non-English speaking backgrounds.
- Lifeline Gambling and Financial Counselling - Ph: (02) 6247 0655
- G-Line - Freecall™ 1800 633 635
- Amity Community Services - Freecall™ 1800 629 683
- Gambling Help (Relationships Australia) - Freecall™ 1800 633 649 or
(07) 3349 5111
- Gold Coast - Ph: (07) 5575 6122
- Rockhampton - Ph: (07) 4927 4000
- Cairns - Ph: (07) 4050 4955
- Toowoomba - Ph: (07) 4632 2615
- Townsville - Ph: (07) 4772 7799
- Gambling Helpline SA - Freecall™ 1800 060 757
- Gambling Helpline Tasmania - Freecall™ 1800 858 858
TTY - Freecall™ 1800 000 974
- Anglicare Tasmania - Freecall™ 1800 243 232
- Relationships Australia, Tasmania - 1300 364 277
- Gambler's Help - Freecall™ 1800 156 789
- Gambler's Help Central - Ph: (03) 9653 3250
- Gambler's Help Eastern - Ph: 1300 131 973
- Gambler's Help Northern - Ph: 1300 133 445
- Gambler's Help Southern - Ph: (03) 9575 5333
- Gambler's Help Western - Ph: (03) 9296 1234
- Ballarat - Ph: 1800 243 696
- Bendigo - Ph: (03) 5434 4300 or Freecall™ 1800 244 323
- Broadford - Ph: (03) 5784 1306
- Geelong - Ph: (03) 5278 8122
- Gippsland - Ph: Freecall™ 1800 242 696
- Colac - Ph: (03) 5230 0180
- Horsham - Ph: (03) 5381 1062
- Mildura - Ph: (03) 5023 5966
- Shepparton - Ph: (03) 5831 2012
- Stawell - Ph: (03) 5358 3700
- Swan Hill - Ph: (03) 5032 4479
- Wodonga - Ph: (02) 6022 8888 or Freecall™ 1800 657 573
- Warrnambool, Hamilton, Portland & Camperdown - Ph: 1300 361 680
- Breakeven - Ph: (08) 9325 5133
- G-Line - Freecall™ 1800 622 112
You can contact Gambler's Help, on 1800 858 858, 24 hours a day / 7 days a week to talk to someone and access a range of free and confidential services for people affected by gambling. As well as the 24 hour phone service Gambler's Help offers face to face problem gambling counselling for individuals, couples, families and groups; financial counseling; group counselling; peer support programs, self-help information; professional development and training services; and community education and information. These face to face services operate during business hours Monday to Friday, however they also provide some after hours counselling support in selected locations (contact the Central Intake Service on 1800 858 858 for further information about this). Gambler's Help cater for individuals from non-English speaking backgrounds.
Gambler's Help now offer online help and support. Go to www.gamblinghelponline.org.au for live counselling, email support and self-help tools.
You can also contact the 24-hour telephone counselling service Lifeline on 131 114, for crisis support and referral information concerning other available services.
If you would like to speak to a psychologist in Australia, you can contact the Australian Psychological Society on (03) 8662 3300 for information and referral. Additionally, in Melbourne, the Swinburne Psychology Clinic on (03) 9214 8653 provides a low cost counseling option.
Most universities offer free or low cost counselling and health-related services to current students. If you are at student at Swinburne, Deakin or Bond Universities and have gambling or non-gambling related issues you would like to discuss with a counsellor you can call one of the following services, listed below. Students from other universities need to contact their student service centres.
- The Health (medical) Service provides low cost or free medical and health consultations and information: for further information about available services see http://www.swinburne.edu.au/stuserv/health/ or phone Hawthorn campus on 9214 8483, Lilydale campus on 9215 7106.
- The counselling service provides free support for currently enrolled students in terms of personal/relationship issues, academic/study problems and specific issues international students may face adjusting to the culture and university. See http://www.swinburne.edu.au/stuserv/counselling/index.html or call Hawthorn on 9214 8025 and Lilydale on 9215 7070.
- Swinburne student financial services information is located at http://www.swinburne.edu.au/stuserv/finance/index.html or call Hawthorn on 9214 8882 and Lilydale on 9215 7105
- International students can also contact an International Student Advisor on 9214 6741.
General information about health, medical, financial and counselling services available to Deakin students can be found at http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-students/services.
Alternatively, ring Student Life Reception to access:
- free or low cost health/medical services
- free and confidential counselling services
- financial assistance
Call Burwood 9244 6300, Geelong Waurn Ponds 5227 1221 or 5227 1223, Geelong Waterfront 5227 8400, Warnambool 5563 3256
General information about a range of support services including counselling, medical, study support and help for international students can be found at http://www.bond.edu.au/student-resources/student-support/index.htm or
- For assistance with counselling, advocacy or academic issues contact Mark Stringer, Juliet Baxter or Kate Bartlett at Student Services on 5595 4002
- For low cost health care contact the medical centre on 5595 4043
- International students can also call 559 51036 for specific issues
The Responsible Gambling Advocacy Centre (the Centre) is an organisation set up to help people make informed, sensible decisions about gambling. The Victorian Government funds the Centre.
The Centre will
- work to promote responsible gambling, protect consumers, and lessen harm to gamblers and their families
- help people get the information they need to lobby for responsible gambling
- work to be the organisation that Victorians can turn to for reliable, understandable information about responsible gambling
The Centre aims to
- link the community to the resources they need about gambling in Victoria; and
- create links between available information so it is more useful and accessible
- NSW: G-Line
- ACT: Lifeline Gambling and Financial Counselling
- SA: Gambling Helpline
- NT: Amity Community Services
- QLD: Gambling Help
- WA: G-Line
- Gambling Research Australia:
- Australian Gaming Council:
- Council of Gambler's Help Services
- To join a free, internet-based support group:
- To access internet-based self-help psychology services: Mood Gym
- Gamblers Anonymous
- Victorian Department of Justice Gambling and Racing homepage:
- Australia's Productivity Commission inquiry into Australia's Gambling Industries:
- Victorian Commission for Gambling Regulation: