- Espacenet (Great Britain mirror site) - search and view the full text of patents - includes UK patents, patents from the European Patent Office and individual European patenting authorities,World patents,and US Patent Office. Also includes Australian patents.
- US Patent Full Text Database
Full text of US patents from 1976, full page images from 1790.
- Google Patents searches USPTO database from 1790's to last few months - doesn't cover patent applications or foreign patents or recently issued patents.
- Canadian Patent Office
Search 75 years of patent descriptions and images.
- Japanese Patent Office
includes searching patents and trademarks databases
- Industrial Property Digital Library
- United States Patent Classification
- International Patent Classification (IPC)
- Nice classification: International Classification of Goods and Services for the Purposes of the Registration of Marks
- Locarno classification: International Classification for Industrial Designs
- Vienna classification: International Classification of the Figurative Elements of Marks.
Intellectual Property and Copyright
- IP Australia
Intellectual property organisations in Australia and overseas
Citing a patent
Citing a patent in a bibliography or reference list:
The minimum data required for an acceptable citation are the inventor's name(s), year of patent issue, title of patent, country of issue, patent number (include additional dating information, if available, at the end)
Bernson, SW 1980, Conversion of Methane. U.S Patent 4,199,533. April 22
De Wied, A 1957, Improvements in the packing of sausage casings, GB 769446.