Professor Michael Leach
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Social Sciences
- 400B216 Hawthorn campus
Michael Leach is a Professor in Politics and International Relations, and Chair of the Department of Education and Social Sciences. He teaches in Comparative Politics, and the Politics of the Pacific. His research interests include nation-building in the Asia-Pacific, the politics of Timor-Leste, the Politics of Melanesian & Pacific nations, and comparative immigration and asylum policy. Michael is also an Australian legal practitioner, and officer of the Supreme Court of Victoria. He has previously taught in politics at Deakin University, at the University of Queensland, and South Thames College in London.
Politics of East Timor; Politics of Melanesia (Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, PNG, New Caledonia); Refugee and Immigration Policy; Temporary Protection Visas; Anti-immigration movements (eg One Nation)
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Coordinating Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Comparative Government And Politics - 160603
- Historical Studies - 210300
Also published as: Leach, Michael; Leach, M.; Leach, Michael P.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2009: After the crisis: Nation-building challenges in East Timor *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2009: Understanding attitudes to national identity in melanesia *; AusAID Australian Development Research Awards
* Chief Investigator
- 2015-02-16: Xanana Gusmao hands over to new PM in major shift for East Timor - ABC Radio PM
- 2014-12-23: Hanson gets the bank back together can she make an impact - The Conversation
- 2013-08-27: Back to the future on temporary protection visas - The Conversation
- 2013-07-08: East Timor discusses Commonwealth membership - ABC PM
- 2012-07-04: East Timor election campaigns draw to a close - ABC Online
- 2012-04-13: Timor-Leste: the presidential run-off - Inside Story
- 2012-03-19: Ramos-Horta loses bid for second presidential term - ABC Online
- 2012-03-18: Ramos-Horta fails re-election bid - Bangkok Post
- 2012-03-18: Ramos-Horta out of East Timor run-off - News 24
- 2012-03-15: Poll is an important test for a young democracy - The Canberra Times
- 2010-10-04: East Timor to suspend two top Ministers - ABC Radio Australia
- 2010-10-01: East Timorese ministers indicted over corruption claims - Australia Network News
- 2010-09-14: Boost for Timor solution - The Age
- 2010-09-09: Gusmaos coalition government under threat - ABC Radio PM